LCRC Goes WAY Too Far

This cartoon montage just arrived as part of an LCRC email blast.  I am no fan of Barack Obama, but putting up a photo of him as a zombie with a bullet hole in his head????????????  Like him or not he is the legitimately elected the President of the United States and Commander in Chief of our armed services in a time of war.  THIS IS DISGUSTING AND SHAMEFUL.  Someone should send this to the US Secret Service.

UPDATE:  RPV condemns the photo, story at WaPo Virginia Politics blog.

“The disgusting image used today on a mass e-mail has no place in our politics. Ever,’’ said Pat Mullins, chairman of the state party. “The Republican Party of Virginia condemns the image and its use in the strongest possible terms.”

Comments

Here’s the text from the email blast:

Halloween Parade
    Republicans On The March

LCRC members and Republican candidates: We are going to vanquish the zombies with clear thinking conservative principles and a truckload of Republican candy. Join us at 5pm at Ida Lee Park to decorate our floats. Bring candidate / endorsee signs and help us show our colors and then pass out the candy to the 20,000 strong parade crowd. The parade starts @ 6pm. It’s fun and a great way to represent our candidates to a ton of voters (and their kids) just before the election.

Contact Us

P.O. Box 547
    Leesburg, Virginia 20178
    703-627-LCRC (5272)
    info@loudoungop.com

Join Our Mailing List!

Authorized and paid for by the Loudoun County Republican Committee and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. http://www.LoudounGOP.com

• Isn’t this from the same people who said it should be considered an act of treason to criticize a sitting president when our soldiers are at war?

Maybe they’re just responding to the “new tone” that’s been demonstrated since Tucson?

Just trying to make sure I got it.

Somehow I knew Diversion Barb would be the first to show up to defend this. I criticized Palin’s crosshairs on Giffords, and this is even worse. If the local Dems put a bullet hole in Frank Wolf’s head I would be all over them as well.

If played right this could be the turning point in many local races in Loudoun. But with the “leadership” guiding DPVA and the LCDC I don’t see that happening.

I’m sorry, but under no circumstances is it proper for a political party to put out an official communique with a bullet hole in the forehead of the POTUS.

• NateDogg614 says:

I wholeheartedly agree that this crosses the line and should not be condoned.

I would also note, however, that there are plenty of depictions out there of Republicans getting shot and I have not heard too many liberals/Democrats out there over the years denouncing them.

• LadyM says:

A bullet hole shown in the head of a sitting President in a political email, demonstrates horrible judgement, insensitivity, and complete cluelessness. There are plenty of people who are disappointed in Obama, but are not filled with hate, and certainly would NOT find ths funny. Something like this could be forwarded to the Secret Service.

I’m an Independent. I had a few local Republicans on my list to vote for, a few Dems as well.

Seeing this email has really made me reconsider. Is this what the LCRC is capable of? And what does that say about their candidates? Not pretty. And not one bit assuring that Republican candidates will be able to made nonpartisan decisions if elected. Do they buy into that kind of hate filled ridicule?

Which for me is a deal breaker.

PS Barbara. This is not about zombies at Halloween. It’s about the hole in Obama’s forehead. Inexcusable.

Idiotic.

Barbara has now entered Absurd-ville with that comment. I’m sure she’ll be there all week. I hope she’s able to find her way out after the election.

• mosborn says:

“Zombies have been a big theme at OWS, endorsed by the President, and Pelosi, and lots of other Dems. That’s okay, though?”

Have I missed a bunch of OWS signs with Eric Cantor depicted as a zombie with a bullet hole in his head? Or anyone for that matter?

It’s a dangerous take on “a fun and a great way to represent our candidates to a ton of voters (and their kids)”. Although not entirely surprising.

• Lloyd says:

unprofessional

And the countdown begins for the official LCRC retraction and apology and/or the local GOP candidates denouncing this.

• I'm Not A Coroner, But... says:

I don’t think that is a bullet hole, just a hole, possibly from decomposition. Plus, the blood is leaking out, dribbling down on the forehead instead of a spray pattern that one would expect from a bullet. Finally, the neat ring around the wound that ridges upward would indicate that the hole is from decomposition, an eruption from within the skull (brain being sucked out by another zombie?) or possibly the result of an impaling.

• Independent Voter says:

This is outrageous, disgusting, and inexcusable. This is hate mail, plain and simple. Like Lady M, I’m taking a serious look at the R candidates and I don’t think I’m ready to support any of them. OK, I’m using a wide brush. I want to see some of the moderate R’s come out and condemn this kind of sickening behaviour. If there are ANY moderates in the GOP.

• NateDogg614 says:

I’m Not A Coroner, But…,

Even if that is all accurate (and I have no idea if it is or not)….it’s still in very poor taste.

Plus folks won’t take the time to analyze it like that.

They will see a hole in an image of the president’s head. ‘Nuff said.

• G.Stone says:

It is stupid and completly lacking good judgement.

I could add foolish and silly but that would be redundent.

• NateDogg614 says:

Independent Voter,

Certainly there are moderates in the GOP.

Moderate Democrats, however….that to me is often a contradiction in terms, at least on the national stage.

• “Entered Absurd-ville”?

eb, she’s been making the same kind of absurd excuses for weeks. This image shocks the conscience for any number of reasons, but I think that whoever approved it was just being consistent with the standard of behavior set by Eugene Delgaudio.

LI, I doubt there will be a retraction or apology from anyone. The pattern is that they will double down.

• Re: I’m Not A Coroner, But…

What did I just tell you?

• Why did they put a current photo of Nancy up there? LCRC could have at least done a little photoshop on her.

Who is the pumpkin … Biden?

• G.Stone says:

” I want to see some of the moderate R’s come out and condemn this kind of sickening behaviour. If there are ANY moderates in the GOP.”

This borders on being equally as stupid. This lack of judgement has nothing to do with moderates or conservatives. It has to do with someones lack of judgement and good sense. To make it about anything beyond that is hackery after the fact. That my friend is like I said, equally as stupid.

• Fred says:

There’s no doubt in my mind that the agenda of the President and the Democratic Party is scary. However using Halloween and an image in poor taste is not the way to remind voters how scary Democrats are. The Office of President, regardless who occupies it, is a symbol of America and her greatness.

• EricaG says:

Like LadyM and Ind.Voter, I too, planned on voting for some Rs Nov. 8. Now, I’m second-guessing myself.

GOP candidates with integrity need to speak out against this disrespectful email NOW, and the LCRC should issue an immediate apology for this zombie-like lack-of-brains move.

EricaG
    Ashburn

• G.Stone says:

“standard of behavior set by Eugene Delgaudio”

More hackery after the fact.

Well they are already trying to say that that round hole in his forehead isn’t a bullet hole, so it’s OK. Come on. Heads don’t tend to explode from decomposition processes, and if they did the end result would not be a small perfectly round hole.

This is is the stupidest thing you could imagine a week out from an election. I’ve always thought that if any group was capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory it was the LCRC. They are trying to make that a reality aren’t they?

I’m sure David is referring to Delgaudio’s use of bloody imagery, which is almost as bad as this:

• mosborn says:

“This lack of judgement has nothing to do with moderates or conservatives.”

Um….except that it was from the LCRC. Not some random non-profit. Not the Boy Scouts. Not your church. From the official county-wide Republican Committee in an email, presumably, to their entire mailing list.

Politicians are ACTUALLY being shot in the head out there, remember? Happened in Arizona back in January. Inexcusable.

• LI: Yes, that is what I meant. Apologists there are doing exactly what one tried to do here – pretend that the image is, by any stretch of the imagination, “ambiguous.”

In the case of the one sent by Mr. Delgaudio, locating the original image that he photoshopped would have removed all doubt, if there had been any in the first place.

• Some of the most sensible commentary I’ve seen on this blog in a long time is right here, right now. Fred and Mr. Stone have got it nailed: this is not about anything having to do with party. It is about judgment and respect for an institution.

Anyone seeking to defend this garbage is doing the rest of us a favor by letting us know who they are. And by “us,” this time, I mean the larger portion of the politically active community that, regardless of party ID, demands a minimum level of decency from all involved, left, right, or otherwise.

Before the primaries in 2008, there was one candidate who received more death threats than all the other candidates combined.

Obama.

If the LCRC response is that this is just a joke, and it’s not a gunshot wound, and where’s our sense of humor?

There’s nothing wrong with our senses of humor. There’s something wrong with the LCRC’s moral compass.

• nicholas g. says:

This is silly, puerile and crass.

Republicans should be able to win by way of message, not macabre.

If we can’t win on policy, we should just fold up our tents and pack it up.

I know its Halloween and a fun time – but what kind of example are we setting for our children – including my four boys?

It just goes to show how classless and tasteless politics has become since I was on the Hill.

For shame.

• mosborn, let’s not rush to blame the entire LCRC for this. The current leadership of the LCDC has been responsible for some real boners this cycle. Blaming that entire body would be unfair. Same here, I’d say.

But let’s see if the LCRC’s leaders have at least the class it takes for someone to own up to their own mistakes:

Mark Sell, who is responsible for this?

• If you read Delgaudio’s e-mail, which is about gays infiltrating institutions, the graphic is clearly not a “call to violence.” That would take either the imagination of someone disturbingly focused on violence or a desperate need to fail at creating an issue a week before the election. Perhaps Mr. Weintraub needs to look at himself.

According to Weintraub disturbed, agenda-driven illogic my Zombie Charles Nelson Reilly costume is a “dog whistle” call for violence against gays. (Oddly enough the glasses were the hardest thing to find.)

Good comment, Nicholas. Since your former employer the Loudoun Times Mirror felt a small posted note at a post office was newsworthy in August:

you would think that this deserves its own story as well, but I doubt Bill Dean would let that happen this close to the election.

Oh yeah, Donny, the only way to illustrate infiltration is by a flowing pool of blood and a bloody handprint.

As I stated on David’s post, it sure seems that violent imagery and threats of violence really are the themes of the day with the LCRC.

• Observer says:

Which LCRC endorsed candidates will step up and denounce this filth, because that’s what it is, indefensible filth.

• Perhaps, being an adherent of the Non-Aggression Principle, I don’t automatically see blood. That takes quite an active imagination.

Or a desperate need to create a failed attempt at whipping up an issue out of nothing. They try this stunt every election, and it fails every time.

Donny, do a google image search for “blood door”. The original image that your former boss used as a basis for his rainbow one comes up.

Do you see blood now?

• Times-Mirror just asked me for a quote on this. Not to scoop them, but what I said was, “I hope this only reveals a lapse in the judgment of an LCRC officer and does not reflect the general level of judgment in the overall membership of LCRC. I call upon whomever it was who made the decision to send this material to stand up, identify themselves, take responsibility, then do the right thing by resigning from any position of leadership they may hold within the Republican Party.”

Donny boy, the original photo which Delgaudio had photo-shopped was one of red blood. No doubting the original is depicting a violent death. Now you go on there little fella and make this into some colorful rainbow with no hate filled imagery all you want but, as I’ve said to you and others before, Delgaudio is way way beyond a reasonable doubt on these things. He meant it for what it is, an image depicting the death of homosexuals. Oh, what he really meant it for was to get a lot of vulnerable people to give him cash, lots of cash. How much have you given to him Donny boy?

• Dave Nemetz says:

“Or a desperate need to create a failed attempt at whipping up an issue out of nothing.”

Which is what the original Delgaudio fundraising e-mail was about.

So maybe Bill Dean is getting overruled by Peter Arundel on this one, like the Burton over Clarke endorsement.

• mosborn says:

“let’s not rush to blame the entire LCRC for this”

• So in order for the super-secret right-wing code words to work you have to know Internet search history? It was an e-mail about gays infiltrating that used rainbow colors entering a home.

I hope you stretched before attempting that reach. What’s with the liberal obsession with inserting super-secret hidden violent messages into everything?

You’re not invited to play Match Game with me tonight.

Unless you’re coming as Brett Somers. My friend can’t make it and I’m going to just look silly by myself.

• Original picture with a link to its source now up at Without Supervision. Yes, it’s blood.

Donny, let me repeat what I said just a few minutes ago – representing infiltration by a pool of flowing blood and a bloody handprint a la a crime scene is extremely poor taste and frankly stupid as hell.

• “’let’s not rush to blame the entire LCRC for this’

It’s hard for me to believe that this email was conceived, created, approved and sent all by one rogue member. This sort of thing doesn’t happen in a vacuum.”

mosborn, there is a middle between “the entire LCRC” and “one rogue member.”

Why do so few people get it about the middle?

• LadyM says:

So far these pathetic explanations coming out of the LCRC are just making me angrier. The more I look at that cartoon the worse it gets.

Also, this may have been one person’s creation – but no way was it not run by somebody at the LCRC before being sent out.

There’s more than one person to blame here.

Somebody had better own this and apologize and soon.

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

You know, its hard to think which image is more offensive, the hole in Obama’s head or the bloody door. First I thought it was the hole in the head of our President but after seeing the original, the blood door takes the day.

Both are pretty bad and no amount of spin will help here.

Who is behind the art work? The email says it came from the chairman@loudoungop.com. I don’t think a PR guy from the NRA would be able to create this type of digital graphic, maybe he thought of it but doubt he created it. Folks should check with Robert Jesionowski, he is listed as the Communications Director on the LCRC website. Maybe he can clear this up.

I really doubt this is just one person.

No doubt it will be heartily condemned, and no doubt whoever is responsible will get roasted, and no doubt some people ignored it, and no doubt some very few thought it was funny.

And the outrage would be more credible from some if it were directed at their own when it occurs (with far more frequency).

Hasn’t hit my email box yet, but I’m not on committee, so its hit or miss on what I do receive.

(and I have to say, some of the cross-issue outrage reminds me of the approach to last year’s midterms, when a rising wave made quite a few people frantic.)

Now I have a few more pumpkins to carve, in anticipation of the benign zombies et al who will be setting the dog off every five minutes in the next hour or so.