An Incredible Early Christmas Present For Dee Dee Hubbard

An extremely quick Not Guilty verdict in the weak politically charged case brought against the Middleburg Eccentric newspaper owner was surely the best Christmas present she could have hoped for.  I was aware of the Not Guilty verdict when it happened in late November, but had not read this excellent article at the Eccentric providing the sordid details.  This case and the way it was handled was despicable.  I’m glad Dee Dee Hubbard got this out of the way before Christmas this year.

Comments

Nice blow by blow of how real GOBs work.

What a seamy mess! I like the single verdict on all six charges.

• Lady M says:

A good story about the damage one crazy, vindictive person can do. Especially when law enforcement goes along with it. Hopefully there has been a lesson learned here. I’m happy for the Hubbards. What a nightmare for them. Also, good to see that some of the people of Middleburg stood by them.

This case should have never been brought to court. Hubbard deserves to have her legal fees paid for.

• Leej says:

What is scary the police can be used in this way in this day and age. Last summer I was having breakfast at my friends club just outside of houston. A sheriff joined us and he seemed a bit tense. SO what. But then he a got a glean in his eye and he said. “” The power I have as a sheriff”"” What he said bothered me a lot. And it is the way he said. Yet most police I know and have met are really good people and I am glad they are protecting us.

But this sheriff back in Houston he bothered me the way he said it. I guess article just brought back memory from last summer.

• Leej says:

Not only her legal fees, she should be compensated for the damage they caused to her and all the others reputation and suffering etc.

As I’ve pointed out before, the Middleburg Eccentric was extremely critical of Commonwealth’s Attorney Jim Plowman during the Mark Tate case. This case should have been handed off to an outside prosecutor from the get go, not to a Plowman underling.

This is what you can expect when you take on the local powers that be. In a county just outside of our nation’s capital that is one of the wealthiest and most educated counties in the world. But a county where too few people really pay attention to stuff like this. So it continues.

LI, don’t forget it was the (former) TOWN chief of police who worked on this.

Looks like the CA’s office was very uncomfortable with how it was handled, and did not go along with the attempt to use the (malicious) prosecution to set up civil cases.

Looks to me like some very special powers in a very insular milieu ran wild on the Hubbards, and Lady M is right–good thing some people stood by them.

The instigator whining about how some people don’t like him anymore? No kidding!

I know who worked on the case, and Sincavage responded appropriately to the civil case issues, but that still doesn’t mean that the case shouldn’t have even been brought in the first place, especially by Plowman’s office. But I know you have to do everything in your power to hold Plowman blameless and cast aspersions on just about any rich person from Middleburg.

Not “just any”. Seems this one in particular liked to hide money from his wife. Ouch.

Charges reduced to the misdeposited checks, and verdict in keeping with truth. The system worked once it got there, IOW.

Now, as to the “system” that initiated it…yes, I’ve often heard the speech about “the way things are done heah”, and it has very little to do with objective reality.

As the article shows, in graphic detail.

Says a lot more about the corruption that enabled the harrassment. Would an average person not in the club get the same results, with perp walk for a target? I seriously doubt it.

Sure the system worked fine in the end, but to what monetary, psychological, and reputational cost to Dee Dee Hubbard?

• Leej says:

How about that teacher which I think was vice principle down your way Barbara. Ruined his career and the kids parents just would not give it up. About those pictures on the kids cell phone. Some parents never believe their kids can do no wrong, we got several like that in our neighborhood. Since I live in a house of glass on a corner lot with a 100 foot common treed area between us and the side street and have large porches on the front and side. My library is two sides glass overlooking the treed common area. So I see everything from the library and what those kids do in that tiny woods from staring fires to chapping little trees down. And many other things including playing under my porch and I am always chasing them out of there.

My point is I have gone to several parents tell them in a nice way what your kids are up to. And the response was can’t be my kids and I say I have pictures want to see them??? Nooo I don’t want to see Noo pictures. ;-)

Well, Lee, luckily Ting Yi Oei worked for LCPS, who had the money to pay off his legal fees to defend himself, about $160,000 worth of taxpayer funds down the drain.

Who’s going to pay up for Ms. Hubbard?

• DC Beltway Bandit says:

If in the course of Ms. Hubbard’s trial there was (empirical) evidence presented that proves the Goehrings lied to police etc…then the CA has the duty to file charges against him. I am Curious to know when the Commonwealth’s Attorney will be filing charges against Goehrings and the former Middleburg Police Chief?

I sure hope Ms. Hubbard considers filing a civil suit against the Goehrings to recoup her legal expenses and is compensated for the “damages/injury” to her reputation.

• Lady M says:

Also, I would like to know just who got the Virginia State Police involved? Who made that phone call?

• squiddy says:

I’m no lawyer — but phrases like “malicious prosecution”, “abuse of process”, “conspiracy” and “civil rights violations” all occur to me…