Is Geary Higgins Really This Religious???

Realloudoun does it again.  Instead of finding someone in his huge district to serve as his representative on the Library Board, Geary Higgins instead picks Jackquelyn Veith, an out of district administrator at Patrick Henry College, which mandates that every thing you ever need to know is found in The Bible.  As Realloudoun states :

Ms. Veith’s spouse, by the way, also works at Patrick Henry, as provost and a professor of literature, though Professor Veith has an interesting view about literature: he is the author of a book which asserts that “we need nothing else” than the Bible and which “examines not only the sufficiency of God’s Word, but also the flawed thinking of those who try to add to or detract from it,” according to the publisher’s description.

That would certainly help the library’s budget problems: Just buy ONE book!

I’m not sure why Higgins wouldn’t have mentioned all these connections about his Library Board appointee in his newsletter.  After all, he has used his newsletter in the past to advertise a CEO Job Opening at Pro-Life Organization“, and his most recent newsletter talks about “a scene depicting Christ’s birth” in regard to the new courthouse displays (helpfully designed by those Patrick Henry College folks).

Is Higgins really this religious???  He’s never seemed that way to me.  He couldn’t just be pandering, could he???  Or maybe someone else is really in charge in that office since Higgins isn’t around much.

UPDATE:  To further illustrate the last sentence in this post, Higgins was absent for the vote to approve his pick from Janet Clarke’s district, which is where PHC resides as well.  Maybe he should just officially turn over his vote to Janet Clarke, subject to approval by Mike Farris, of course.

Comments

I’m starting to become concerned about the influence the PHC people are starting to have on Harrison Street.

Why am I being reminded of Lyndon LaRouche?

Oh, and I’m starting to think Chaplow (Higgin’s assistant and evangelical home school mom) has wide latitude on how the Catoctin District office runs — or at least what the newsletters say.

• NotJohnSMosby says:

So I’m assuming this guy will be emphasizing book burning instead of book acquisitions?

Again, I hope everyone in Loudoun is enjoying the 100% Republican Board of Supervisors. It’s what you worked for and this is what you’ve all earned.

Chaplow worked for Dick Black for years, so this appointment should come as no surprise given Black’s past on the Library Board. I wonder if this woman will lead a new crusade against free access to the web at public libraries now.

After all the worries people had (including me) about Dick Black’s influence on Shawn Williams, it looks like the biggest Black protegee on the BOS is Geary Higgins. Williams seems to have shaken the reigns while Higgins sneaked in as the stealth moralizer. Go back and read the linked post and the comments above in regard to the pro-life CEO position. I forgot I tagged him as Geary “I Don’t Refer For Abortion” Higgins. We need to bring that one back.

• Thad Hunter says:

Is TC really this anti-religious? Haven’t we had enough emotion-laden attacks on people who believe in biblical values this month? Perhaps you will enlighten us backward folks and define the line where too religious begins — just so we know when we’re crossing it next time.

I am not anti-religious at all. I am anti-religion in government, and I especially despise hypocrites who wrap themselves in religion while being immoral and unethical.

As an example, maybe assigning official government actions, such as designing Christmas displays, shouldn’t go to a college that has a tagline of “For Christ and for Liberty”.

And that has this “Statement of Faith” on its front page:

Keep this college out of our county government in any official way, please.

Thad, the only bashing I see happening is when religion steps into the realm of government. LI’s observation is right on and the criticisms are well deserved I might add.

As I’ve said before I don’t want a preacher telling me what the Constitution says, and I don’t want a politician telling me what my Bible says.

I’d speak just as loudly if I saw government stepping into the rightful practice of religion.

If these two distinct organizations mix than people need to speak up.

As for Higgins appointment to the library board. God help us. Let’s hope a religious agenda doesn’t enter into our library system. It was disastrous last time. Cost taxpayers over 100K and effectively stalled any growth in library services and additional books to our county for years. We don’t need a repeat of that disaster.

• Loudoun Moron says:

The more religion gets involved in government the larger government gets. Which is hardly conservative.

• John Marsh says:

LI and RealLoudoun have it right; our Founders understood and our Constitution clearly states the need to keep religion out of government. But strangely the folks from Patric Henry College (and Higgins et al.) ignore the troublesome concepts derived from our roots.

One correction to LI and RealLoudoun: PHC lies within the Catoctin District as redrawn for the last election. The expanded PH will likewise lie within Catoctin. In essence the college’s influence pervades two districts, if not all of Loudoun!

Thanks for the correction, JM. Maybe this helps explain the recent conversion to evangelism by Higgins.

• NotJohnSMosby says:

I’m sure the PHC crowd is just trying to protect everyone in Purcelville from the impending sharia law. Of course, they’re all for any expansion of christian legal doctrine.

• David says:

It’s not a conversion, LI. He’s always been stealth. This appointment is no surprise at all, and it should also be no surprise if we end up seeing the same expensive intellectual freedom lawsuit repeated. The scolds don’t want a seat at the table, they want to own the table, and they’ve never been able to accept the sensible Loudoun compromise solution that allows every library patron to choose filtered or unfiltered access to the internet for themselves and their children.

Get ready for another huge waste of public money.

• Mark says:

So the fact that Mr. Higgins is a Christian is surprising? A lot of space on this site has been dedicated to your thoughts on Mr. Higgins. Regardless of your opinions on the matter, the fact that you are only now uncovering this “scoop,” says a lot more about your journalism than it does Mr. Higgins’ leanings.

With any investigation whatsoever, you’ll find me biased in the worst way for sure, but c’mon – Geary has never NOT been an incredibly devout Christian, and I don’t believe he’s ever had any intention of hiding that fact.

End of day, I’ve been reading for a while. You call this blog “Too Conservative,” and yet you take constant issue with an individual who embodies conservatism in every possible way.

Personally, I’m far from conservative, and I doubt not your allegiance to all things, well, conservative. But some of this just rings a touch hollow. I mean if Geary Higgins is the enemy of conservatism, well just who is its friend?

I really could care less if Higgins is or is not an “incredibly devout Christian”. Maybe that can be his next campaign tag line. I do care about putting religious pandering into official government actions, like ads for pro-life groups in county newsletters, government purchased creches, and worthless tick spraying in county parks to curry favor with Mike Farris.

Injecting religion into government is far from “conservative” in my opinion. But of course that is not the viewpoint of those who currently own the “conservative” brand.