No Pancakes for You: 2012 Election Reflections

A few random thoughts on the elections as they came to mind.  Any one of these has been, could be or will be a post of its own.

*Novatownhall is officially batshit crazy.  Talk about the neighborhood going to hell.  Ever since Joe B left, there’s been a steady descent into partisan insanity capped off with what  I read this morning for the first time about Angry Pancake Man, and suggesting that Black Out, because he was wearing the button of the opposing party, basically invited, if not deserved, the abuse.  Crazy.  Imagine if that had happened to someone wearing a Romney pin.  Do you think their reaction would have been the same?  Of course not – disingenuous jerks.  Making all Republicans look bad.

*TC bestows its honorary Master of the Obvious degree on Matt “Brick” Letourneau for his Facebook comment: “It’s time for our party to truly begin outreach to ethnic groups that today voted for President Obama but who I believe fundamentally share our values.”  Yathink.  Problem is, at least in Loudoun County, the “outreach” expects those voters to yield to the Republican hardline instead of the other way around.  As long as you have LCRC meetings that put Baptist tent revivals to shame, don’t count on getting the growing Hindu and Buddhist votes – not to mention those who just aren’t that religious.

*Romney was a good candidate and ran as a good campaign as he could have.  The broader problem is the appeal of the party.  If you want to reach minorities or women, don’t do stuff that pisses them off – like vaginal probes and stupid remarks about rape.  That crap has consequences for all candidates throughout the nation.

*Brick redeems himself with another post:  “The lesson here…polls are right.  Believe the data.”  Gotta say, the pollsters got this stuff right.  Amazingly right.

*Tea Party whack jobs have now cost Republicans five US Senate seats.

*Can’t wait to see what Obama and Putin have in store for us now that Obama has greater “flexibility.”

*Obama did surprisingly well in Loudoun.  Although his numbers dropped, he still managed to carry most of the precincts.  Surprised that I owe only one beer given my generous bet.  Seems like the Dems are as surprised as I.

*Thank goodness, the Republicans kept control of the House.  Avoids a return to the extremism that was 2009-2011.  We very well could get sequestration now, contrary to Obama’s promise that it simply wouldn’t happen.  Four more years simply means more of the same that we’ve had for the last two. Gridlock.

*After all the contact Republicans received from the Romney campaign, I’m surprised there wasn’t a “thanks for the effort” email or something like that last night or today.  Nothing.  Bad form.

*Right after we figured Obama had won, the War Department and I decided to permanently table a kitchen remodel because our taxes would be going up.  Direct cause and effect between Obama policies and the hit small businesses take.

*Forget ever getting rid of Obamacare or the Dodd-Frank Act.  By the time Republicans can do anything about them, they’ll be too entrenched.

Comments

• Smith says:

Housing prices are actually ticking up (reality once again a problem for conservatives) and interests rates will be this low for years (as said by Bernanke, not Obama). And the rest of Obamacare doesnt kick in till 2014- but you guys are always worried about the boogeyman.

“I think each of them really believed what they were spewing. It seemed to make sense. With all the failures in Obama’s first time, I thought there could be no way dems would come out in the same numbers.”

I dont think Rove and Barone ever really believed themselves. “To be successful one must project an image of success” as said in American Beauty.

Heck even Jennifer Rubin admitted today that she was BSing most of the time she was complimenting Romney.

This is the FOX news right wing media problem. Your so insulated by what FOX and the Rush’s out there say, that reality comes back and slaps you in the face- hence the 2008 Obama people came back in 2012.

Here is a good article on the failure of the right wing media on right wing readers:

• Ed Gorski says:

TOP REASONS PRESIDENT OBAMA WON AND WON BIG

President Obama inherited the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression (an economy losing 800,000 jobs a month) and led us out of it (now creating 170,000 jobs a month).

Under Obama, we’ve now had 32 consecutive months of private sector job growth.

We’ve added nearly 5 1/2 million new jobs during that time.

The president saved or created 3 million new jobs with the American Recovery Act.

He saved 1 million auto-related jobs with the auto bailout.

He helped boost new car sales with the popular “cash for clunkers” program.

He cut taxes for small businesses 18 times.

He cut middle class taxes an average of $3600 over 4 years.

He cut payroll taxes for working families.

Despite what Republicans would have you believe, income taxes are lower today than under most of the Reagan administration (35% today versus 50% then) and the corporate tax rate is lower than it was under Reagan.

New financial reform will help reign in Wall Street abuses.

Banks have paid back the money loaned to the them from the Bush financial bailout.

Obama required CEOs at banks that received bailout money to agree to executive compensation limits until their loans were repaid.

He created a new consumer protection bureau to set fair rules for what financial institutions can do with consumer credit cards, mortgages, and student loans.

Mortgage interest rates for homebuyers have reached record lows.

Corporations earned record profits, which undermines the argument that the president’s policies are bad for business.

Obama passed comprehensive health care reform (Affordable Care Act) that Presidents Truman, Nixon, Clinton, and others have been trying to do for 70 years.

32 million people will now get health care coverage under the ACA.

Young adults can stay on their parents’ health care plans until they turn 26.

People with pre-existing conditions will no longer be denied health coverage.

Seniors on Medicare will save thousands of dollars on prescription drugs and other medical costs through the ACA.
    President Obama encouraged states to set common academic standards and provided support for the nation’s best teachers through his Race to the Top education initiative.

He reduced student loan payments for college students and borrowers to 10 percent of their discretionary income.

He helped first-time homebuyers purchase a home with an $8,000 tax credit.

Home prices are finally coming back after the 2008 market collapse.

The president got BP to set up a $20 billion victims’ compensation fund to help Gulf residents after the historic 2010 oil spill.

America’s dependence on foreign oil is declining and U.S. oil imports have fallen to a 20-year low.

The war in Iraq has been ended.

The war in Afghanistan will end in 2014.

And we finally got Osama Bin Laden and took out Al Qaeda’s top deputies.

The president gave the orders that rescued U.S. commercial ships from Somali pirates.

He led the international effort to remove Moammar Gaddafi in Libya.

He signed new trade agreements with South Korea, Panama and Colombia.

The Dow has doubled from 6500 in March 2009 to approximately 13,000 today.

Women are now entitled to equal pay for equal work under the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

Obama appointed two women to the U.S. Supreme Court.

He appointed the first Latina to the Supreme Court.

And in the words of First Lady Michelle Obama, “he believes that women are more than capable of making our own choices about our bodies and our health care.”

He appointed the first African American Attorney General.

He signed the Fair Sentencing Act, which reduces the sentencing disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine.

He ended “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” that prevented gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military.

The Justice Department stopped enforcing the Defense of Marriage Act, a discriminatory law widely considered unconstitutional.

And he signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
    He appointed his former rival Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

He was endorsed by George Bush’s Secretary of State Colin Powell, former Republican Senator Larry Pressler, former Republican Gov. Charlie Crist and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a former Republican.

He was praised by Republican Governors Chris Christie and Bob McDonnell for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

And he did all this in the face of stiff GOP opposition and a Senate Republican Leader who vowed his top political priority was to make Barack Obama a 1-term president.

“Funny, right after I knew Obama won, I told my wife we would be waiting a little longer to buy a house.”

Yeah. Rates are just terrible right now.

Come on Hops. You seem like a nice guy. Start thinking more rigorously.

• Hop says:

edmund,

Rates are great right now… would love to make the move, but I feel more comfortable under Obama that they will stay low longer. That teamed with the unknown of Obamacare and my tax situation are the drivers of my decision to wait. Subtle, but it makes sense, no?

• Hop says:

Smith,

“Housing prices are actually ticking up (reality once again a problem for conservatives) and interests rates will be this low for years.”

Full disclosure – I already own a home and we are actually looking to downsize… so the combination home prices rising vs rates staying the same is also a factor to wait it out a bit. Kind of a no lose situation right now. Rates staying low was the key.

• Hop says:

“I dont think Rove and Barone ever really believed themselves”

My only thinking here is… why would have Rove made such a fool of himself at the end telling them not to concede Ohio if he didn’t truly believe it. I think he was convinced. Not sure about Barone and Morris. Morris was just out there unbelievable!

Hop, good luck with the personal decisions. That’s what they should stay: personal.

You and I both can guess the mortgage interest deduction was probably on the block with your candidate’s kinda-secret tax plan.

On Rove, I think the guy was resolving classic cognitive dissonance. The dissonance between what he wanted deeply to happen (and was paid handsomely to deliver with his PAC) — and what some of his numbers said.

So to resolve the dissonance, all that he could do was go the numbers and start reshaping them. He couldn’t move the want/paid past, he only had the future — which slowly moved into the present.

And we got to see the present/reality resolve the dissonance right on TV.

This happened millions of times in different ways Tuesday night and people (right here on this blog) are already constructing their arguments and bringing the new lumber to build the shaky foundation under one of two (or three, or four) conflicting beliefs/attitudes in hopes of calming that tension.

By the way, this is why we see so many people saying wild things (moving to Australia, we need a revolution, tell Democrats to go to hell).

It’s the stacked up lumber prior to the build-out.

• ACTivist says:

Lloyd, it wasn’t NVTH as a whole that stated BE had it coming, It was me. Again, the button was a trigger for people’s frustration over the deceit and mishaps of this administration. And BE has a way of stepping over the line confrontatioally. I don’t hate or dislike him and we have differing opinions and we go at it. The point was the frustration people feel. Do I want NVTH a clone of TC? Absolutely not. Nutjobs? I could say the same thing here but I don’t. Different strokes for different folks. As I comment here, you also-at rare occasion-comment at NVTH. We like debate with sound, reliable data. We also like amusement with “off the wall” diatribes. The object of these blogs is to elicit responses and learn how and why people think the way they do. Are you any different then those at NVTH, where you stay at TC’s “echo chamber” because it is comfortable for you? I think not. Confront those “nutjobs” on their own turf regularly and push YOUR POINTS as BE, Troll and others do.

As far as the election goes: if Jesus himself were on the ticket, he would have lost in a landslide. As you can see here alone, many think the white Christian voter is dead and gone forever. People are moving from what I call a values and moral stance towards an old Hippie posture of anything goes. I talked with majy people that wouldn’t vote for a Mormon. I also talked with many people that believed the continual lies leveled at Romney/Ryan thru TV ads. These are what would be called the “common voters” who don’t pursue nor are the politically astute. They hear the ads and make a decision based on that, without doing any research of the truth. This country moves on an uninformed voter wave and will live and die that way until we get back to basics. Think of the axium “Ignorance of the law is no excuse”. Same with politics. People want what is good for their needs–not what is good for the country as a whole. Just because you think it is “time” or that it is “deserved” doesn’t mean it is good or that you will get it. So you have a frustrated block of citizens that just refuse to vote because it won’t do any good or it won’t make a difference.. In turn, it truly does make a difference yet those non-voters don’t realize that they perpetuated that outcome.. That is much more to this than one party or faction of a party not listening or having old ideas. It starts with education for the voter at an early age from both schools and knowledgeble parents.

• RichmondDem says:

Look, Dick Morris and Dean Chambers are hacks, but Barone and Will getting it son wrong means one thing–Republicans, even intelligent ones, no longer know their own country. They’re out of touch with what an average American is. This is exactly what happened to my side in the 1980s, and now it’s happening to conservatives.

You don’t need a Ronald Reagan. You need a Bill Clinton.

ACT, TC is not an echo chamber and Lloyd gets trashed plenty here at TC, just as I do.

ACTivist: We like debate with sound, reliable data.

I call bullshit.

Show me any link that supports that notion in the past year ACT. I lurk over there because I like to see what the wingers are saying and it’s a rather fact-free place.

• Loudoun Moron says:

And as a follow-on to RichmondDem’s comment that the Rs don’t know their own country, it is worth noting that the Ds have won the popular vote in 5 of the past 6 Presidential elections.

Calling TC an echo chamber is par for the novatownhall course.

• David Dickinson says:

At TC, your echo is likely to come back and slap you in the face.

• ACTivist says:

eb, you “lurk” but you don’t comment. Ok. It is not my job to prove you wrong. You believe what you want since your opinion has aways been grounded in bias. I see it here all the time. You even bring sound clarity to the table at times where even I agree. Too bad you can’t afford others the same consideration. I think there are commenters here that would be willing to justify my statement while having discourse at NVTH. Then again, maybe not. I will leave you with your opinion as it is yours, grounded in whatever truth or logic you wish to believe. It is not my or anyone else’s job to force you to change. We all must do that within ourselves. If you believe your statement correct than so be it.

• ACTivist says:

LI, ditto at NVTH. So if I accept your stance on this, do you, in turn accept mine?

ACT, why would one accept a false statement if the other accepts a true one? How odd.

It IS your job to prove me wrong if you assert the notion that you “like to debate with sound, reliable data”. It should be easy to access and see, no?

This is why I don’t comment on your site. The rank laziness of the arguments.

I don’t necessarily think NVTH is an echo chamber comment-wise but it is much more monolithic in thought poster-wise.

I must admit that I agree that Obama got his base out to vote: women (53% of all voters this year); minorities of all stripes; the GLBT community and their families and friends; and white folks with college degrees.

That’s a really nice wide base. Stable. Hard to move.

Meanwhile, the Midwest Rape Caucus was toppled. So, I’m guessing a move farther to the right will hurt Republicans.

(and please forgive me for saying this, but anyone who calls the party who put two wars on a credit card “fiscally conservative” needs a new dictionary.)

ACT does not understand the concept of an echo chamber. Don’t hold that against him. It’s a limitation.

ACT, I have a request for you.

I will comment on your site if you like, buy you a beer, whatever, if you read this post by Andrew Sullivan:

I wonder if you dare post this on your site for comments.

• Eric the 1/2 Troll says:

“That’s a really nice wide base. Stable. Hard to move.”

But difficult to motivate. I think they will always need a cause.

As long as the GOP keeps moving to the right, the Democratic base will have a cause.

Marriage equality, bodily autonomy, immigration reform, voting rights, and making sure our senior citizens and veterans have food, medical care, and housing? Big causes.

• ACTivist says:

eb, I picked the “economics” tab, which is always lively with debate at NVTH. Sept 26 with many references. It wasn’t hard but unnecessary. Just one example for 2012 to meet your reqiirement. I already feel that you will dismiss the example, deem it null and void, in which case will show me what I believe about you: you have an unquenchable thirst that cannot be satisfied. I don’t use that as being a search for knowledge but rather satisfying yourself in the dilusional need to always be “right” (correct). With you, it is not about “the” truth but rather “your” truth. Good luck with that.

• Matthew Osborn says:

“I also talked with many people that believed the continual lies leveled at Romney/Ryan thru TV ads.”

Enlighten me ACTivist…what exactly were those lies?

• Leej says:

in the words of Rodney King “”"”" can’t we all get along now”"”"” :-)

This is an excellent article. The country needs a robust two party system. The GOP is going to have to do a whole lot of introspective work and FOX must be a part of their discussion.

• Leej says:

i will also say and i agree with liz about everything she said.

but extreme in your face religion whether people want to admit it or not played a huge role in this election. and again that was the secret vote that doomed Romney

Good article eb. Mark Levin needs to be taken out to the wood shed and given a spanking. I heard that diatribe quoted in the article on the radio last night. Reading the text only reveals half of the vitriol he spewed.

• David Dickinson says:

This is only tangentially related to this post, but yesterday evening I listened to Hu Jintao, the current president of China, address the 18th CPC (Chinese Congress). During his speech he was talking about reforms and said that the market must steer the reforms China takes and not the government. He talked about how innovation needed to drive growth in the Chinese economy. At least for the portion of the speech I listened to, you would think Hu was channeling Henry Ford or Steve Jobs or some other master of capitalism.

I thought about his speech and then thought about all the talk we heard during the election and though it is no wonder that the Chinese are eating our lunch.

More movement towards Chimerica. As America moves to the Left, China moves to the Right. At some point, we’ll run into one another.

• David Dickinson says:

The Liberals are overplaying their hand already. Yes, Obama won. It wasn’t a drubbing. Not a 49-1 Reagan-esque win. Not a mid-term clobbering like the Republicans dealt last election.

It was a loss. Not a humiliating defeat. Changes need to be made, but they are course corrections not plotting a new course entirely.

• ACTivist says:

eb, I accept requests, not dares. Your shallowness and contempt for me is bewildering. I read your article and it would make an execellent post of contriversy. I don’t happen to ascribe to the opinion of this writer nor do I frequent the daily beast because, to me, it is just as extreme as FOX news is to you. You may continue to “lurk” at NVTH but I do not make a post just to get you to comment. Posts are for anyone and all viewpoints. I do not single out individuals to cater to.

China is eating our lunch? Live there for a year and tell me that.

ACT, can you provide a link?

I thought you would say no, ACT.

But we agree on something: you are bewildered.

• David Dickinson says:

From a growth perspective in the global market they sure are.

Their people are dirt poor or super rich. All that good “communism.” You do the work, and I’ll get rich. That’s how socialist countries go. They topple the capitalists to say thye are going to spread the wealth and then put the money in their own accounts.

• ACTivist says:

Ryan wants to end senior health care. Romney is for the rich. Romney sends jobs overseas. Romney killed a woman with cancer. Romney will take away women’s rights. Be serious. This is just a smattering of what was leveled against Romney/Ryan without facts. GOP was about substances, Dems were about accusations.

“From a growth perspective”

How about from a standard of living perspective?

• ACTivist says:

eb, I copied but did not apply in the comment. My apologies and here is the link. http://novatownhall.com/2012/09/26/the-dilemmas-of-redistributionism/#comments

• David Dickinson says:

Their standard of living sucks. At least Hu so much admitted that in his speech and called for a 100% personal income growth over the next decade.

But their standar of living is of little concern. It is what they make and export and the markets we compete against them that is at issue.

And, in that arena, the US has lost considerable ground.

By the way ACTivist, I reread your comment about my “contempt” for you. I disagree with you strongly on most of your positions and the ideology that demands you to have them, but I want you to know I have no personal contempt for you. I don’t even know you to my knowledge.

I do have a large degree of antipathy for ideologies.

Read up on Burkean conservatism. It’s a trait.

• Matthew Osborn says:

“Ryan wants to end senior health care. Romney is for the rich. Romney sends jobs overseas. Romney killed a woman with cancer. Romney will take away women’s rights. ”

I don’t know about old women…but you don’t think Romney was going to take away a woman’s right to an abortion? Cuz he said so like 9 times. He also said he didn’t care about the 47% of Americans. He IS for the rich. Did he not invest in companies that shipped jobs overseas? Pretty sure that one’s true too.

If those are the worst things that were said about Romney by the Obama campaign, they should sleep well at night.

• David Dickinson says:

Point buried by the MSM: The majority of married women voted for Romney.

EB, would you define “Burkean conservatism?” as the definitions I found were practically worthless and left me scratching my head.

ACT, how else is the electorate supposed to take Romney when he said he would repeal roe v wade. That is taking away woman’s rights. Just because it hurt him on the vote meter and that his supporters want to ignore that he said it doesn’t mean he didn’t.

You see these things happen when you are in an echo chamber. Read the article I provided above, it’s all about the dangers of an echo chamber.

The article has more substance but this is an interesting concluding statement from it.

And as the GOP begins the process of sifting through the wreckage of its latest election defeat, it needs to learn a lesson. Just because you’re winning around Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity, it doesn’t mean you’re winning around America.

“As the GOP begins the process of sifting through the wreckage of its latest election defeat, it needs to learn a lesson. Just because you’re winning around Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity, it doesn’t mean you”re winning around America.”

wow, wish I could edit that. Some how copied the quote multiple times. My apologizes.

Case in point. We’re having a discussion that ACT is getting frustrated with because he’s being challenged. So he can’t seem to handle that and must bring the dialog into his echo chamber. See Novatownhall’s latest. That will make him feel better about his views as he’ll get compassionate support there.

DD, defining it is not a 30 word endeavor. I’ll give you a reading list if you like.

Quickly borrowed from Sullivan:

It’s a conservatism as the practical engagement with policy and political institutions to adapt modestly and incrementally to social and economic change with the goal of maintaining the coherence and stability of a polity and a culture.

It is a philosophy of moderation and balance, constantly alert to the manifold ways in which societies can, over time, lose their equilibrium.

It is defined, along Burke’s foundational lines, as an opposition to ideological and theological politics in every form.

• ACTivist says:

You have to learn the difference about investing in a company and the operations of said company to make a profit. Companies back in Clinton days started very heavily exporting portions of what a company does to oversea, southern and northern neighbors. Why? The cost of American labor was too high and didn’t afford profit. Why do you think union labor has trouble with their businesses.
    I’m anti-murder also so I have no problem with abortion leaving this earth forever. If it is a woman’s right to have one then how come she has to get someone else to perform the deed? Let’s not forget mthat medical doctors are called “healers” with an oathe to do no harm. Twist it as you will but a womans right to abortion is no different than a man’s right to be head of household.
    He didn’t care or that he couldn’t get their vote? Care in this context was garnering a vote from those on a government subsistance. Big difference. When you get something free, you will never be willing to give it up and he saw this. This government puts everyone on the dole mentality was what this election was all about. Watch the % of people on the dole go UP during the next 4 years. Stop being disingenuous here.

• David Dickinson says:

EB, how does it differ from humanism?

• David Dickinson says:

EB, yes, a reading list would be helpful.

ACT, it is the law of the land that abortions are legal. Romney said he would take that away. People vote accordingly. Obviously you would support the reducing that right to woman. That is one reason why we have elections. Further regardless of your view, you said it was a lie created to attack Romney. Not true, he said he would repeal roe v wade. Nothing untruthful about that.