Step On Up To The Plate People

I continue to be disgusted to the point of despair with this shit-hole county and its pathetic governments.  I’ve been putting out fresh info for discussion about the clowns that run this county for almost eight years now, and after all the time and effort I have put into this we now have a government of fools that is worse than any other BOS I have seen.  All because too few people give a damn and get involved.  I continue to be amazed at the level of self centered crooked goofballs that somehow rise like scum to the top of the fetid brew to become Loudoun’s elected “leaders”.

It’s time for some new blood.  It looks like some of our other regulars here are a bit burned out as well.  But there still remains plenty to cover, and of course the local papers cover only a tiny portion of what needs to be illuminated.  I know there are some of you out there that can do this and do it well.  Contact Vincent with a request to be a TC contributor if you are up for it.  Somebody has to do it.

Comments

• John Marsh says:

But LI, you’d be missed. Because the idiocy won’t stop.

A highlight of today’s Board meeting — whether to fund a 2 year FTE to “coordinate” the Lyme program, because the Board has its 10 point program, a spray program, a Lyme Commission and a bunch of sub committees and lo, that requires staff work! But rather than question whether the 10 point, spray, Commission and sub committee work was worth a damn, they mulled over how to pay for it. No decision.

And no response to the County Health Dept head’s statement that people get Lyme from their own property, not so much from the areas sprayed. But three companies are eager to spray nonetheless, with good county money.

• Loudoun Watcher says:

They should start with the reason Lyme is spread rapidly in the county… deer. We have too many in the county and they are everywhere, including lawns in subdivisions. Don’t waste money on spraying open land, give the hunters a bigger season, a chance to thn the herd and donate the meat to feed hungry people… our neighbors.

• Git er right says:

Thought i would help by placing an ad – clicked on the box – dead connection. Send me a link about rates.

• Scotty McFly says:

It’s good to see someone else notice the Lyme item today.. Money was already appropriated pretty recently by the BOS for the contracts and brochures. The amount of money needed for the coordinator would be less than what they already set aside for spraying etc.

• Smith says:

How about voting for Democrats. GASP!!!!!!

The stink has seeped too deep into the local GOP (local GOP/state legislatures all over the country really).

The reason this BoS gets away with it is bc they know they local population is uninformed and gullible (and apparently mostly college educated and wealthy- go figure). Just throw them some Loudoun Hound bumper stickers say the democrats will raise their taxes and keep destroying this county.

I agree this site needs new blood, but I respect LI. He seems to somehow get that the GOP has lots its way. Now if he could only realize that people like Lloyd and Joe Budzinski are doing a disservice to this website by shouting out GOP talking points (Lloyd) or whatever nutjob Obama conspiracy he read online (Joe).

Get rid of the tea party (nihilist who may not realize they do want to destroy this country) and the christian fundamentalist. They are the people destroying this party, but somehow supporting a moderate Democrat President is just too horrifying to comprehend for moderate republicans.

That and make all elections publicly funded and overturn Citizens United. It was cost more, but damn if it would clean it up a little.

LI, please don’t leave this site to the same nut jobs that took over the Loudoun Republican party and to the “party loyalists” that elected this board.

You’ve seen what this party has become and it repulses you. Well, some of us were actually there before you and we got called socialist and pinkos for it.

Obama has been the focus of the national and local Republican hate program. Well, he is maybe a centrist Democrat but more like a Rockefeller Republican. Underneath most of the hate directed at him and his policies is one plain fact: he’s a black man.

The hatemongers are not just racist, though, they are anti-intellectual and anti-science and anti-logic. They prey on our worst fears and prejudices. They masquerade as Christians. To most of them women are incubators made flesh and nothing more.

Dick Black, Delgaudio, Ken Reid, etc……it’s not that they’re unknown is it, and what about every Republican who stands beside them without condemning them, every Republican who has worked to get them elected knowing what they are. Sure, there’s also ordinary political slime and corruption in this county, but some of what we have goes way beyond that.

Tell the truth, LI. What we’ve seen magnified recently on the national scene was long ago rehearsed and has been and is still being played out on stage in Loudoun. Don’t give up your bully pulpit, LI, speak out about what you see clearly now, and please don’t let the crazies take over this forum.

• muriel says:

Loudoun Insider, you’re tops with me!

• Liberal Anthropologist says:

“Underneath most of the hate directed at him and his policies is one plain fact: he’s a black man.

The hatemongers are not just racist, though, they are anti-intellectual and anti-science and anti-logic.”

Another interesting quote to examine for the psychological tendencies of a far leftist.

He believes those who disagree with Obama are racists. Ludicrous on its face and devoid of the very logic that he claims that “the other” is against.

While that is typical leftist diatribe, the rest of his argument about intelectualism, science and logic is perhaps most tiring.

I am proud of the TEA party and have seen the libertarian impulses behind it growing in the country for decades. I voted against Obama and disagree with almost all of his policy proposals on some level. I think he is the 6th worst president in US history.

To be frank…. many of the leftists on here pretend to intelectual superiority. Survey after survey shows the right leaning element of the country with more education and higher IQ’s. Yet, this sense of intelectual superiority by the left persists.

I am not uncommon and I am not anything like that which is described above. Anyone who knows my personal life would have real trouble claiming I am a racist. I have three degrees and am a MENSA member. I understand in DETAIL the science and math of issues like Climate or others. To argue I am anti-intellectual or logic is ridiculous.

I really hate saying all thatabout myself but the anti-intellectual line of attack on our reasoned and reasonable positions must be answered.

There are certainly people who are not presenting the most cogent positions from the right. But no more than is seen from the left. Most of the issues in question are not strictly subject to logic or intellectual analysis in any case.

The next liberal who wants to claim some intellectual superiority is offically challenged to meet me on the set of Jeapordy. :-)

• NateDogg614 says:

LA pretty much summed up how I feel about the comments above as well. So it’s not worth reiterating. I will say, however, while I can claim 2 degrees to my name, I’m not a member of MENSA (though that would be kinda cool!) ;)

“Survey after survey shows the right leaning element of the country with more education and higher IQ’s.”

Could you link us to one of those many surveys LA?

As for LI, he’s shed the bright light on ridiculous actions of ALL politicians and their enablers in this county for years — D, Independent, R. — with hardly a thank you.

If only the local media had one-tenth the backbone and passion…

• Ben Dover says:

Ah, LA:

Before you spend too much time highlighting your academic qualifications, or wearing your MENSA membership on your sleeve as a means of demonstrating your intellectual chops, you should learn how to spell.

“I’ll take Spelling 101 for $500.00, Alex.”

“The name of this television program….”

“What is: J-E-O-P-A-R-D-Y”

To me at least, one’s academic background or degrees is hardly a metric for evaluating a person’s intellectual or logical abilities. For example, I’ve known plenty of PhD’s who, while brilliant in their particular field, were woefully lacking in either social or emotional intelligence.

• Laura Lieberman says:

LI–It sounds like you might need a short and well-deserved sabbatical.

While I’m a far cry from an “R” I can see it has been a tough year for the GOP. But when it comes to local politics we’re all in this together. As Ron White says, “You can’t fix stupid.” But you sure can write about it. And thanks for doing such a great job.

I think you might need a little pep talk right now…and Bluto is the guy to do it:

Gotta love “smith”–Lloyd and Joe Bud do a “disservice” to “a northern VA republican viewpoint” by posting in a GOP opinion mode (‘scuse me, “talking points”), and the answer is–elect Dems!

LI, the well may be temporarily empty in your spleen, but I have confidence in you.

It can’t be all b*tching by Dems, progs, and oligarchs here all the time, with a disaffected R leading the way–let the blog go along while you perk back up–it will be here whenever you’re ready, and if the local Dems need a place to rant, they can–imagine!–host discussion on some of their many own blogs (which might get more discussion if language was not policed, corrected, struck through with a smug FIFY, or constantly redirected to…the talking points they prefer).

• John Marsh says:

LI at his/her (!) best has offered welcome and rare criticism of Republicans gone astray from a reasoned, science-based and tolerant path, while freely criticizing Dems as well. While I happen to believe that LI’s persuasiveness has suffered from irrelevant personal attacks, pretty clearly, and sadly, that’s what a lot of readers enjoy. So that’s contemporary life with blogs.

But, however forlorn the hope, TC would improve with fewer rants — including the above ranting attacks on Demoratic rants! We could use fewer pots calling kettles black and more interesting and thoughtful debate shorn of mind-sapping resort to the labels of “right”, “left” and so forth.

• David Dickinson says:

For something more mundane, ” …deer. We have too many in the county.” I agree completely and not just because they keep eating my apple trees and other delectibles. How much damage has occured to vehicles from accidents? And you have deer ticks (yes, I know they are on mice too).

I suggest the County holds a “Big Doe” contest and gives a substantial prize ($10k+) to the biggest doe taken in the county. For a very small amount of $$$, relatively speaking, we can get hunters to do the job of culling the herd.

• Independent voter says:

What happened to the idea of giving deer birth control food to slow down their population?

• David Dickinson says:

Why bother? Do something to encourage hunters and they will put in the time, effort, and expense of taking care of the problem.

They could team up with a local meat processor and food bank and it would be a win-win-win-win for everyone (except the deer).

Venison sausage, anyone?

Hunters for the Hungry:

A processer in Catlett, another in Hamilton. This links how to donate, and all processers who participate in VA

• Hillsboro says:

Loudoun, Fairfax, Prince William and Fauquier already have the longest deer season in the state, by far, from Nov. 17 to March 30.

Allowing Sunday hunting would probably have a large impact given the demographics of this area. Bills authorizing this would always pass in the House of Delegates but never get out of committee in the Senate. This year they flipped things around — it passed the Senate, but was killed in committee in the House.

• David Dickinson says:

Frankly, I think deer should be declared a nuisance species and shot at will. But I don’t think there would be much support for that.

• David Dickinson says:

That’s an impressive network already in place. Hmmmmm.

• David Dickinson says:

LI, on your original post, the tone in your voice conjures the image of the popular pirate t-shirt:

“The beatings will continue until morale improves”

Hardy, har, har.

• Glen Bayless says:

Can’t wait for crazed hunters to begin blasting away in my subdivision? Sounds like a cool idea…Congrats DD

• David Dickinson says:

Obviously, you don’t get out much Glen. There are limitations currently in place.

• Glen Bayless says:

No shit Sherlock! Just seems to me that if you and the NRA have their way, we’ll be dodging automatic weapon’s fire on the grounds of our elementary schools. You don’t seem to mind spraying poison throughout our parks, why not machine gun fire to help the cause?

Glen, see John Marsh’s comments re “rants”, maybe?

• Smith says:

Barbara Munsey – sometimes voting in dems to wipe out the scum in the GOP is worth it.

This is how you get people like Eugene. God help you get him out of there with a Dem. Then maybe a sane GOP would replace that person.

You put party ideology over the welfare of this county. This country and BoS is a joke. Richest county in the country with crappy schools and terrible roads. Pathetic.

And I think a NoVa GOP perspective might actually NOT just post GOP talking points. Maybe it had a moderate perspective. Why dont you just read some South Carolina conservative website.

What is the website supposed to be anyway? If its just about voting out and hating Dems, hows that working out for the county?

• Glen Bayless says:

Munsey infamously changing the subject again.

• Malcolm Baldwin says:

Good advice, Barbara.

One needn’t and surely shouldn’t endanger suburbs to control deer that have become such a hazard on the roads everywhere, as well as a problem for farmers (and vineyards), and carriers of not only ticks but the meningial worm (which has killed three of my llamas and two sheep).

They’re lovely creatures, and I personally don’t enjoy hunting, but they must be reduced in numbers and controlled in and around suburbs — whether by hired marksmen or otherwise. Not simple, but I’m guessing that introducing wolves won’t be popular.

I am beyond tired of being one of the 1% who pays attention and the 0.001% who actually does something about it. Eight years of fighting for what is right to be left with this bunch of self interested assholes. What a horrible place to live for those who actually care.

• Ryan Gleason says:

Deer are a problem, but most people are that get Lyme are bitten by deer ticks with they are in their nymph or larval stage. The ticks are more dangerous in these stages because they are extremely tiny, and almost impossible to detect. The carriers of ticks in these smaller stages are actually mice and not deer. I’ve been hunting deer in the county since I was 11, and pull deer ticks off of me pretty regular and I’ve never gotten lyme disease. We do need to control the deer population, but we could kill every deer in the county and as long as mice are bringing the deer tick nymphs into our houses then it really won’t make much of a difference.

• Malcolm Baldwin says:

Deer: Ryan, you’re right, and of course snails carry the meningial worm as well as deer. So we can’t blame deer for everything. I also haven’t gotten Lyme yet, despite every day in fields.

But mice and snails don’t kill on the road!

LI: I appreciate your frustration. You’ve done a lot to keep folks alert and engaged and taken criticism well. I regretted losing the election last year. But one must love what one does, as I do for sure. I’m now on the REDC (Geary having congratulated me just moments ago!) and look forward to doing what we can to improve the rural economy that can help all of Loudoun.

And in any event, Loudoun beats Prince Georges, or DC, or West Va. in politics, right? (Okay, barely,) And we’ve 34 wineries versus a handful 20 years ago, and, um… No, it might have been better 20 years ago. Anyway, I guess we must find the glass half full. and hope it’s good wine.

Smith, speaking of party ideology, is any Dem better, on the grounds that all Rs are “scum”? If you’re going to call me extreme, be sure the beam is gone from your own eye.

Mr. Bayless, I didn’t see anyone escalate to automatic weapons raking the suburbs, until you introduced it as a (n apparently to you?) logical next step–again, not a change of subject, unless you’re acknowledging your own, and the extremity of it.

I love deer too Mr. B, both to look at and to eat. I don’t love waiting for them to leap out in front of me on our abysmal roads at night, or hitting them when they’ve made it inevitable.

Some good discussion here re ticks, and meat for those who could use it.

Now, for those of you so inclined, back to “armed and irresponsible republican scum gone wild!”

• Smith says:

Barbara, always claiming the other side is JUST AS BAD is a poor attempt at dealing with facts.

Do you think this board would be as f-d up as it is if there were a few Dems on the board? You dont think one Dem board member would stand up to York and Eugene instead of this cowardice and coverup across the board.

So yes, if a Dem wouldnt sell out a county for a freaking baseball stadium, then yes maybe a Dem would be better. Maybe a Dem would think having better schools would be good idea.

Maybe a Dem wouldnt cause a stink if Patrick Henry college asked the board to bomb the whole county bc they are scared of ticks.

You use the same argument the GOP uses to justify the unprecedented obstruction by the current GOP senators. There is NO comparison to the amount of holds on positions/judges/nominees, filibusters that the GOP has done under Obama. But you justify this by saying- oh the other side is just as bad. Not the case, based on facts.

Maybe scum is the wrong word for the Loudoun GOP… crooks and liars is probably much better.

Ticks!!! This is what this freaking county is worried about.. TICKS!!!! Its the freaking boogy man. How about jobs, schools, and roads. Real problems. Hell, the local GOP even got Romney to send out a lyme disease flier in Loudoun. Must have been why he did so well here.

smith, neener neener doesn’t justify your seeming point (which you seem to have modified somewhat) that ANY Dem is better than crooked lying scum, which all seem to be to you.

The argument that even one (ANY dem?) would make some miraculous difference seems endemic with some, and it has yet to be validated in any way that is meaningful. One vote does little, and all one voice does is make more hot air for the press to circulate–it isn’t necessarily meaningful, but having an elected official say things for the party would get the talking points some wider airplay, and with the authority of a news story rather than press releases, ltes, or blogging.

back to rants for a minute, and your generous (anonymous) modification from “scum” to “crooks and liars”–a blog that deals in hysterically polarizing treatment of events, magnified through a great deal of gossip, can certainly use “scum” as often as needed. But it remains subjective, and for every piece of traffic it boosts with someone like you who seems to enjoy the rage factor, it turns someone else off, who may be disappointed by the tone, or the license anonymity can give for tone with some people. “Crooks and liars” is on the same subjective plate–I know I’m not the best person in shadowland to mock the FBI miasma that’s been pumped in this county for over five years now, but on the other hand I am one of THE best, because I am one of the people on whom it was used as a device by those who disagree with me, in order to threaten and say “shut up” in ways that their arguments could not. And it gets old to the point of ridiculous–they’re STILLLLLL here, and when my beard reaches my knees they’ll cuff me.

IOW, prove it. Prove that someone is a crook. A liar. A felon. Not just that you say so from behind the safety of your nic and your keyboard because it feels so good to be so mad and so powerless.

That may prove hard to actually do as “smith” in blogland, unless your main goal is simply the miasma and perpetuating it. As such, maybe you should apply for the job here? Go for it–it might be interesting.

• HOAHell says:

“… it was used as a device by those who disagree with me, in order to threaten and say “shut up” in ways that their arguments could not.”

The pot speaks out with racial comments that the kettle is black.
    Absent Mr. Insider, who will you have to tee up your relentless rhetoric?
    Would that TC had a “hide” button.

The Christmas Season always brings to mind martyred saints, HOA.

• Liberal Anthropologist says:

I couldn’t help but laugh this morning when Yahoo News (which is highly liberal in its bias) actually brought this piece up in the headlines section!

They are actually taking fake press releases of of PRNews (not a news source, but one that can be used by anyone) and posting false studies with fake methodologies by a fake institute as top news.

I am sure because the editors actually believe that right leaning people just simply aren’t as smart as them. This false meme is as sanctimonious as the moral high ground taken by some of the religious right.

In real news about Dem versus Rep knowledge, here is a Pew Study on political knowledge. Republicans are more knowledgeable.

They are also higher in education level on average and higher in IQ. The left needs to come to understand that they hold no lock on logic or intelligence. In fact they suffer a deficit.

The good news is that almost none of the matters addressed in politics are subject to or related to the need for academic intelligence or knowledge. The left often conflates science with politics inappropriately, while overvaluing the importance of “experts” in many fields.

The irony is that they do not understand the limits of control and understanding of complex systems like a society.

Does their lack of understanding come from their lower IQ and education? Or is it more based in their psychological core. To what degree is their psychological need for string leaders and experts to follow derive from their slightly lower intelligence level?

I have a suggestion to my leftist friends. Drop the idea that you have some kind of extra intelligence and knowledge over the right. It is as insulting and demeaning as the facts and hypothesis I posted above.

And since you have no actual superiority, you are only embarrassing yourselves.

hoah, it’s called your eyeballs–that’s why it’s helpful when real people use real names. You can scroll right on past without any button at all but the one in your head. It’s easy!

(oh, and props to you for using RAAAACIST on me too–lol! The word will be meaningless in short order at this rate)

eb, only the Holy Innocents, and that is well after Christmas.

You wouldn’t be calling any of those beneath you either holy, or innocent, would you? I mean, by accident maybe, but surely not on purpose.

maybe it’s a context thing.

• Kelli GRim says:

LI…please don’t go. We are just beginning to see a real awakening in folks in west Loudoun. I only have 5 1/2 years of hard time in this County, but I will never surrender. And you have done too much to turn back now. It is probably the perfect time to organize, coordinate a cohesive initiative that gives a louder voice, and specific tasks that people can grab onto. It is time to take back our County and Towns. We currently have people in fear of the Government, which is Tyranny. Time for the Government to fear the people. Time for them to work FOR “we the people”.
    I’ve got a feeling…WE win.

• NateDogg614 says:

“It is part of their overall psychological makeup. Their need for strong leaders, cult of personality, and group think. They tend towards authoritarianism and centralization, with control by an elite.”

With Obama, you get all of that. Well, at least they believe that he’s a strong leader anyways. I think there’s room for debate on that point. He does have a rather sick obsession with raising taxes though. One might consider that to be punishing achievement. (You know, why should I work and be successful when I’m going to just get taxes more? How about I just sit at home and collect a wellfare check and get me a free Obamaphone!)

• A.E. Gnat says:

“The left often conflates science with politics inappropriately, while overvaluing the importance of “experts” in many fields. ”

And, LA, the right often conflates religion with politics inappropriately, while overvaluing the importance of a book that was written around 3000 years ago.

Both statements are broad brush strokes. Both statements are equally accurate and equally inaccurate. And both statements do absolutely nothing to civilize politics or relationships between two sides who disagree on issues.

Call out “the left” for being insulting and demeaning all you like. Just take care that you’re not doing the very thing for which you’re calling out the other side.

And the above is what you’ve come up with LA?

Someone’s MENSA membership might be revoked!

Barbara, please feel free to insert your own context. You have in the past.

• David Dickinson says:

Silly you, Glen. I guess you didn’t read the link:

“(c) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school.”

We can’t shoot deer on school property but, at 101 yards, they are fair game.

And we reserve the automatic weapons for Tea Party rallies, Klan meetings, and shootin’ in the air when our cousins marry each other.

• NateDogg614 says:

David,

Interesting how you link the Tea Party with the Klan.

So are you implying that all Tea Party supporters are Klan members? And do they all marry their counsins to boot?

• David Dickinson says:

I don’t think anyone can prove that conservatives have higher IQs than liberals, although one could generally infer that from reading this website and others.

But conservatives are more well read. Remember the stink a couple of years back because liberals were crying that the NYT Bestsellers list was habitually dominated by conservative books? As they say, the proof is in the pudding. If studies show that more well-read people have higher intelligence and the conservative books dominate the bestsellers list, it follows that conservatives are more intelligent than liberals.

And, its just plain common sense.

• David Dickinson says:

“So are you implying that all Tea Party supporters are Klan members? ”

Why, Nate, it is almost a certainty. Tea cups are mainly white. Do you think that is a coincidence? Oh, I think not.

• A.E. Gnat says:

” If studies show that more well-read people have higher intelligence and the conservative books dominate the bestsellers list, it follows that conservatives are more intelligent than liberals.”

That’s a huge logical fallacy. That conclusion doesn’t necessarily follow at all. One could also draw the conclusion that conservatives are more subject to group-think, since they’re all reading the same books, while liberals’ choice of reading material is far more eclectic than that of conservatives, which means they’re more intelligent, since their collective brains are more eager to learn about a variety of concepts and ideas.

Point being, you can’t draw any conclusions whatsoever from this sort of thing, other than the fact that one who would attempt to draw such a conclusion might not be as intelligent as they’d like us to believe.

• John Marsh says:

It would be difficult for any outside reader to discern differences in intelligence among the so-called “right” and “left” elements of TC contributors. Most would conclude that, with a few significant exceptions, bloggers act as if they were about 13 years old. The dialogue we often read simply couldn’t come from an actual face-to-face conversation without resulting in violence.

The question of which group is smarter couldn’t be more inane, not only as unanswerable but also because, of course, we know the limits of intelligence measurement which discounts creativity.

My sense is that Democrats very often fail to integrate economics in their approach (often neglecting the force of enterprise), and Republicans (these days) fail to appreciate individuals’ impacts on community (environmental and social). Neither fully appreciates the conservatism of Burke that David Brooks sometimes articulates, which at least offers a useful perspective for right and left..

Loudoun County’s politics reflects these failures. TC contributors could address them better without diatribe and insults.

TC suffers from what might be called intellectual laziness and lack of civility that leads ever downward, or so it seems to me. But if one reads virtually every contributor it’s evident that each one could do far better and be far more influential in affecting ideas and policies.