Mainstream Media Bias

As much as John McCain is liked by many in the MSM, there can be no doubt that they are largely in love with Barack Obama. McCain will be fighting an uphill battle for the hearts and minds of the MSM reporters and editors.

The current NY Times episode is symbolic of what McCain will be facing. The front page of the WaPo this morning was full of McCain criticism. The front page placement of these stories is absolutely not warranted by their subject matter, especially since Obama has not had anything close to the same treatment. At least it appears that this has brought many of the right wing pundits such as Limbaugh and Hannity back into defending instead of attacking McCain.

I’m also fascinated by the media attention placed on McCain’s wife. What’s the deal? The WaPo front page article is accompanied by a marginal profile of John with a straight on focus on his wife. The WaPo Style section has a front page feature on her as well. It appears they want to keep her in the limelight to bolster the unseemly insinuations of the NY Times hit job – “look at McCain’s wife -did he cheat on her with that evil lobbyist?” Obama’s wife has caused some controversy lately, but she’s invisible compared to Mrs. McCain. Let’s see how this plays out, but I’m not very optimistic. The Obama wave is going to be very difficult to hold back.

Comments

• Bushwick Bill says:

I’m glad for the “scandal”, because (a) it’s February, and (b) a standard has now been set. And that standard will apply to the one candidate who has not been vetted & has never had a competitive race.

Rumors? Insinuations by disgruntled former aides? Run with it, A1 over the fold! Liberals can snicker now; let’s wait and see who chuckles last.

• Lee J says:

Obama barring any major scandals etc will be our next President. And I don’t think it is a bad thing.

McCain and his wifie went after Obama’s wife for her patriotic comment and tried to make it some huge deal, of course it did not work. And it seems Obama has led a very decent life or the flood of hilary detectives would of found something. Obama is going to be able to make much out of McCain being an Washington insider and that is bad for McCain. American does not want another version and more of the same Bush policies with just an new cover to them. That is what McCain represents to the american public just more of the same. He also needs to surround himself with some younger people his candidacy looks like the old men campaign, and shows not energy whats so ever. Or should it be named the soon to be dead candidacy.

• I Heart Howard Beale says:

I think the attention to McCain’s wife is coming in part because for the first time this week she put herself out there when she criticized Michelle Obama. And Mrs. Obama has gotten much more attention than any spouse (not named Bill). Wasn’t she just on the cover of Time or Newsweek or one of the weeklies?

Anyway, I think it’s natural for the press to cover Cindy McCain a little bit now after she interjected herself into the race to take on Mrs. Obama.

That doesn’t mean I’m justifying the NYT piece, because unless there is more to be reported, that was crap.

• 10 feet tall and Bulletproof says:

Bushwick Bill nails it.
    If this story and it’s sources and facts were what was lined up for October “suprises”.. they just “galvanized” John McCain’s above average integrity in front of every voter out there….
    It just doused water on an already soggy NYT (they had a good number of comments from Democrats on their comments section of the story that said they were even dissappointed in the reporting)
    As LI indicates, we needed something to forge a link between the conservatives and McCain. Viola…NYT does it with ease.
    This is so novice in so many ways, you wonder how grown men who have been in a political arena for a number of years could even sign off on this abortion of a story.
    EVEN the coverage of Ms. McCain is juvenile and speculation. Anyone ever heard of FACTS??

• Malcolm says:

I agree with all the above astute comments. And yes, the NYTimes published a weak, ill advised article. But it’s past time for self-styled “conservatives” to get off their deluded and, yes, tiresomely trite paranoia about the press – particularly the Post, NYTimes and so forth. The Post and NYTimes have been incredibly kind and supportive of McCain over the past 8 years – George Will in the Post not withstanding — giving him what many liberals consider to have been a free ride. Now comes some attention and it’s unfair?

Guardians of our First Amendment might appreciate the service that these publications alone provide. The Internet, and blogs such as this one, may indulge our desire to express ourselves, no matter how uninformed, but where do we actually get a semblance of analysis? These are among the only publications that actually do investigative journalism – Walter Reed’s care of veterans, Loudoun County’s corruption, come to mind most immediately.

We need this media more than ever. Check today’s Post’s article about McCain’s extraordinary reliance on lobbyists now volunteering on his campaign staff. For details about Hillary’s mismanagement of her campaign contributions check out today’s NY Times front page. For powerful critiques of Obama’s “cult of personality,” see Paul Krugman last week, or David Brooks this past Tuesday. Want some useful information about internal dissent within McCain’s staff that might have fed the NY Times study see David Brooks’ column today.

We’re a free and fortunate nation to have these newspapers that no other country on Earth can match — not even the Brits or the French. Biased reporting and slants from the mainstream media are distinctly not the problems facing American voters; the problem is folks don’t read and aren’t open to digesting uncomfortable information.

• Loudoun Watcher says:

Lee J, this blog is called Too Conservative. Go post your Obama Love Poems somewhere else, i.e. some liberal blog. I just avert my eyes when I see something you’ve posted, and work even harder to elect good Republicans. Buh bye.

• Bushwick Bill says:

Wow, the Obamaniacs are out there, trolling the blogs! Patriotic comment, that Ms. Obama is proud of America for the first time in her life? That’s real “patriotism”, the ultra-liberal, America-hating kind. In this case, Barack is right; words do matter.

• Lee J says:

Loudoun Watcher I do lean republican more then democrat. When the republicans finally get some people running for office that are not going to help further the deterioration of Loudoun and the country I will again vote republican. You can be an blind republican sheep and just vote republican just because they are republican, but when you do that you are actually hurting the republican party. Look what happened in the Last Loudoun elections.

Now get out there and get someone running for President on the republican ticket that I can vote for that is not going to further the deterioration of the Amercan name around the world like bush did and someone that has some common sense about to fix the economy and I will vote republican again. Me and other republicans are doing the party a favor by being a blinded sheep and voting republican just because they are republican those days are over. The republican party is needing a major overhaul if it wants to lead this country and locally again.

Lee j

• I Heart Howard Beale says:

Loudoun Watcher,

I find your comments to be highly unfortunate. Most days I consider myself a Democrat but I’ve come to the conclusion that LI is the best reporter in the county. It’s not because he’s an R or D, it’s because he is passionate about good, ethical and open government. I’ve come to admire this blog for its willingness to call out a Republican who is out of line and in doing so at least tacitly support Democrats.

Being blinded by red, blinded by ideology and party identification is one of the problems in our country today, and it’s one big reason why Democrats are now running the county.

• 10 feet tall and Bulletproof says:

Nice observation of the Republican 11th Commandment, there Lee.
    Bush is not the devil, and he will be remembered kindly in history as the man who stepped up to take out the garbage that heaped up for the 8 years prior to his watch.

• Lee J says:

and I meant NOT begin an blinded sheep.

Republicans that vote blindly for the republican party are part of the problem not the solution.

Get real Obama is most likely going to be our next president and whining about it is not going to bring change to the republican party for the future. I am an realist and the republican party is not getting the message to the american public that they want to hear. So go out and do something about it.

• Lee J says:

sorry bulletproof but as long as you believe Bush is this garbage exterminator the republican party is still living in denial. Even my staunch republican friends back in Texas that were extreme Bush supporters in the beginning can’t wait till he is gone gone gone and they are not real thrilled with McCain either at the moment. So until you all can recognize the republican party has got some real problems connecting with the american people, the republicans are going to have some serious upsets until we can get people that can think in the 21st century.

• I can absolutely guarantee that this country would have been better off if McCain had been the President these past eight years. I’m afraid Bush has done long lasting damage to the GOP.

• Loudoun Watcher says:

Lee J and I Heart: I am not a blind Republican supporter, nor do I encourage idiots to run, and my bleeting days are over. However, I will NOT give aid and comfort to liberals like Obama and his Dem opponent, What’s er Name. I am a principled conservative voter and Republican activist. I hate seeing Obama supporters on a blog called Too Conservative. Dish up your stale rhetoric somewhere else and don’t point fingers when you don’t know what you’re talking about. Buh bye.

• I Heart Howard Beale says:

Loudoun Watcher,

Isn’t it slightly contradictory to state you are not a blind GOP supporter only to follow that with “I hage seeing Obama supporters on a blog called Too conservative. Dish up your stale rhetoric somewhere else …”

Conservatives are voting for Obama in large numbers for a multitude of reasons. One of those reasons is there is much more to leadership than ideology. It’s the same reason the GOP courts “Reagan Democrats.”

Buh bye.

• Loudoun Watcher says:

I Heart, you just plain don’t know what you’re talking about. I challenge you to prove that conservatives are voting for Obama for any reason other than making sure he’s the Dem candidate instead of What’s Er Name. Obama is an empty suit, who has no experience in anything but rallying cries. And I guess you didn’t notice, but there are many, many liberal blogs you folks can experience, without wasting space on Too Conservative expounding your goofy ideas about Obama. (Speaking of plagerists… I guess you spoiled my cutsy poo closing and I won’t use it again.)

• 10 feet tall and Bulletproof says:

“Conservatives are voting for Obama in large numbers ”
    Need proof. Your opinion does not count, and in fact, is quite flawed.Back up this rediculous statement with some facts. I do not care how you FEEL.

• 10 feet tall and Bulletproof says:

I actually see large numbers of Democrats voting for McCain in the event that what’s her name had come out as the winner. Now that the far left’s boy Obama has come out on top, that will probably drive a HUGE CONTINGENT that has not been mentioned anywhere, nor witnesses in Party primaries or caucuses…the self-identified Independents. They just got a dose of liberal trashing from the NYT…and it turns them off enough to drive them to McCain.
    And the true Conservatives just solidly fell in behind McCain after the same article. All in one nasty shot. In light of all that occurred after one shot at McCain, I am anxiously awaiting the next “hit” piece!!!!

• Lee J says:

The national elections are starting to remind me of our last county elections. ;)

• t says:

Michele Obama is a grotesque creature.

Her comments about her not being proud of this country were purely racist in nature.

• 10 feet tall and Bulletproof says:

Ralph Nader to the rescue…. Ralph Nader to the rescue….
    Sing it…everybody…
    Ralph Nader to the rescue…

• James Young says:

I go back and forth on this. This hit piece is such an obvious example of media bias that most people seem to have immediately dismissed it as such. On the other hand, MSM bias is so prevalent as to be like dogs urinating on fire hydrants: so typical as to be nothing to get too excited about. Just keep children and other loved things away from fire hydrants.

• Grapes says:

Jimboooooooooooooooooo Young!

Mercy me, Jimbo, another post talking about bathroom issues?

Where you be, boy?

• G. Stone says:

Now maybe McCain will realize who his friends are. The MSM have tossed their maverick under the bus now that they have a real socialist not named Clinton poised to win the Democratic nomination. Obama is their guy, McCain like many other moderate republicans was one of their useful idiots for these many years.
    As long as McCain was pissing off conservatives and siding with liberal Dems in the Senate he was the medias darling. Now, that they have a young good looking FDR as their champion McCain is yesterdays news and has now become an obstruction to the furthering of their collectivist agenda. For them all of these republicans in the White House have simply been historical mistakes screwing up the perfect society envisioned by Wilson, Roosevelt and Johnson. Young Barrack is all three rolled into one. No Republican , maverick or otherwise is going to squander this opportunity to further entrench democratic socialism in America.

McCains response that he was disapointed by the NY Times story was pitiful to watch. If the story was BS, and I believe it is, then his response the following day was weak. Having to rely on surrogates, blogs and talk radio to forcefully respond does not inspire the troops. McCain was tossed a softball and he whiffed. Overall this event will benefit him, however he squandered an opportunity to bitch slap the NY times. Like many other moderates and liberals in the republican party, he is under the illusion that the NY times and the MSM actually like and
    admire them. They don’t. Maybe now he will learn. I doubt it.

Memo to McCain: They don’t like you, they never did. This is not that tough to figure out.
    You want to be president ? stop concerning yourself with what the Washington Posts thinks of you.

• Remember: the media, or much of it, is about shareholder value and selling ads in a quickly evolving marketplace.

• James Young says:

I never considered a fire hydrant to be a “bathroom,” “Sour.” That you do … confirms virtually everything I think about you.

• Malcolm says:

Whether or not he’s too beholden to lobbyists — which is the point of the NYTimes article that it rather stupidly botched — McCain handled his response to the NYTimes with superb skill — with dignity, class, firm denial, and on the high road without polemics. He may not have fed raw meat to the mainstream media-hating wing nuts, but he showed his character and kept his grip on the voters he needs.

• Mark Kay says:

“Obama is an empty suit, who has no experience in anything but rallying cries.”

ROFL! Look what “experience” has brought us in the last 8 years. Only a kool aid drinker could make a statement like this.

• Mark Kay says:

“I’m afraid Bush has done long lasting damage to the GOP.”

As a staunch independent, I couldn’t agree more.

His 11th hour tactic of rallying the bigots and bible thumpers on “protecting marriage” before the last election was pathetic. Add pandering to Mexico on immigration, ignoring “surge” proposals from his early advisers and countless other gaffs to the list.