What To Do With The WaPoo?

God, I hate reading this paper sometimes, but I am wed to the in-your-hand feel of a morning newspaper, and I’ve never been very impressed with the Washington Times (even though I enjoy the op-ed pages).  I’m very much a creature of habit and reading the Post in the morning is ingrained, even though of course I do it with my political eyes wide open to their biases.  It gives me an entree into the world of the enemy.

Their continuing obsession with the McDonnell thesis carries into EVERY article on the Governor’s race.  Once again they work it in several times in their latest sob fest story about McDonnell ‘s continuing pummeling of Dirty Deeds.  Hate to break it to you guys and gals at the Post, BUT NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT.  Give it up.  Your own freaking poll proves the point, especially as independent women go strongly for McDonnell.

Oh well, after thinking again as I usually do when reading blatant partisanship in the WaPo masquerading as “journalism”, I think I’ll keep getting it but continue to bash the hell out of them for it.  You may get my little bit of money, WaPo, but I’ll take it out of you in other ways!.

Comments

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

I care about Bobby Mac’s thesis, LI. I care that he’s a hardcore right-wing ideologue dress-up like a moderate, and guileless, easily-duped voters are buying his shtick. I care that he’s a hypocritical a$$h*le, promising to solve problems his policies cannot possibly achieve.
    Hey, at least The Post pisses you off, that’s something.
    At the end of the day, though, the good guys still occupy the White House & control Congress. I sleep well at night.

• Brian S. says:

My wife got fed up and threw the paper down during the drive in this morning when they spend half the article talking about Obama and his impact on the race. I made her read the rest to me.
    What can I say, I still like the WaPo even with its biases.

• Anon says:

LI, I agree with your thoughts completely. It’s the only news daily that even marginally (and I mean marginally) covers Virginia, so it is what it is. I keep threatening to cancel, but I’m a news hog and I need to get my fix somehow. The Times won’t cut it.

• RichmondDem says:

Now you know how I feel about the Times-Dispatch (albeit on a smaller scale since it’s a purely local paper). A Republican candidate could get caught molesting a child, and the RTD would still endorse him.

• Michael says:

WaPo’s circulation is down 7% from last year. the entire print media is down about 10% for the year. People are looking for real information that is truthful, not the Obama talking points. Continue to see the WaPo decline and look for a bailout for their words that no one wants to read. Even the sports page is political…

• RichmondDem says:

Michael–

It is down because you can read it online for free. Nobody I know under 35 actually subscribes to or buys the dead tree version of newspapers anymore. Also, due to the recession, internet advertising revenues just aren’t there.

What’s really sad is that the Washington Post made a better case for Deeds in their endorsement than Deeds has made for himself in the entire campaign! He really doesn’t deserve to win.

• Rob Iola says:

So Richmond – this Republican child molester you refer to – is he against tax increases? Conversely the Post is purely focused on raising taxes to cover transportation costs, and will actively endorse any candidate who supports that view (the thesis is just a necessary evil in their hopeless quest to elect Deeds). It’s a reasonable position, just one that we all disagree with.

But seriously, dead-tree versions of newspapers, including the Post, will slowly evaporate down to the free Express versions handed out at Metro. Not only do they lose money, but they kinda are at odds with the liberal environmentalist global-warming shaving-optional crowd – ink, newsprint, solid waste, delivery van gas and exhaust, etc. – like it or not, newspapers are ideally suited to being a mobile app…

• RichmondDem says:

Yeah taxes seems to be the issue, what gets me is that while there’s a lot of debate about how high or low taxes should be for transportation, there is little to no debate about how said taxes should be spent. It’s always “widen the interstates, more roads!” But NoVA’s population is so high now that widening the roads won’t do anything except give an incentive for people to drive more. Which will lead to more congestion, which will lead to people lobbying for an even wider road, which will mean higher taxes or less spending on education, and the “dumb growth” cycle continues.
    The incentive needs to be for people to drive LESS, not MORE, if you really want to reduce congestion. That means toll roads and rail. If you just build more and wider “free” roads, you end up like Los Angeles–a highway choked, traffic clogged polluted mess. L.A. has no shortage of highway ribbon, but it still has the worst traffic in the nation, worse than NYC even though New York is bigger. Why? Because years ago they made the decision to build more freeway instead of a comprehensive transit system, while the New York metro area has all kinds of various transit options.

• Dan (Not the liberal one) says:

RichmondDem, I’m 18 and I still get my daily subscription to the Manchester Union Leader, in physical paper form. WaPo and other papers’ numbers are down because they don’t report the news anymore. (This can be said of conservative papers too.) Sure the net plays a HUGE role, but when the quality of a paper declines, so does the readership.

• RichmondDem says:

Dan, you’re quite the rarity. In any event, eventually a sustainable model for online newspapers will be found, but probably not during a recession. And even when it is, I think there will only be a few true newspapers left in the biggest cities. Papers like the Times-Dispatch and Virginia Pilot will be reduced to tabloid size (think the Richmond Free Press) if they survive at all.

• G. Stone says:

Why anyone would read anything beyond the sports section in the WAPO is beyond me. It is an absolute dishonest rag that once in a blue moon stumbles onto the truth. Those of you who do read it are getting dumber by the day, stop it !

G.Stone, something LI has correct is the value of reading what power blocs want people to think.

I’m sure the Deutches Beobachter was required reading in every embassy in Europe in the early 30s, but that didn’t mean it was the best paper.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

“I’m 18 and I still get my daily subscription to the Manchester Union Leader, in physical paper form.”
    I think that’s awesome, Dan (the moronic one)! Does the delivery boy bring the paper ‘round back to your Mom’s basement door, or do you have to walk out to the driveway?
    BTW, why are you posting on a local blog, 500 miles from your basement?

• Ryan says:

IBOB, “the good guys still occupy the White House” Yeah, that’s all President Obama has been able to complete since he was elected… He moved into the White House; Oh! I almost forgot, he has also given more sales pitches (speeches) than there are days in the year so far! No healthcare reform, no withdraw from the war Iraq, no closing of Gitmo,No economic recovery,no solutions to Iran or N. Korea,no Middle East peace no finding Osama Bin Laden no spending cuts,no Olympics nothing.

So just keep sleeping well, while we take over. Starting Nov. 3rd.

But he won the Nobel Peace Prize! For good intentions!

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

“No healthcare reform, no withdraw from the war Iraq, no closing of Gitmo, No economic recovery, no solutions to Iran or N. Korea, no Middle East peace, no finding Osama Bin Laden, no spending cuts, no Olympics nothing.”
    That’s typical of you youngsters – You have no patience. President Obama’s been in office for nine months and you expect him to have completed feats that Bush failed to accomplish in 8 years (Iraq resolution, economic recovery, Iran & N. Korea solutions, Middle East peace, finding Osama Bin Laden, spending cuts).
    Shouldn’t you be in study hall, Ryan, or binge drinking at some off-campus happy hour? Young man, leave the serious thinking to the adults.

• Lovettsville Lady says:

I get the Post (over dh’s strong objections) for the same reasons that LI does. We also get the Washington Times. They arrive in the same wrapper. I read the WaPo to know the enemy, and to keep up on whatever silly educational ideas their reporters are touting since I know those silly ideas will soon be brought into a classroom near us AND we will be forced to pay for them.

• Ryan says:

Actually, I’m not at all impatient… I don’t want any of those things to come about! Obama is the one who promised that many of these things would happen quickly after he became President. (He said we would have healthcare passed by, when was it? Before the August recess?)Obama is the one who said that if we didn’t pass the stimulus bill that the economy would go off a cliff, explode in flames, and never recover, (and now we learn that part of that bill was to provide free golf carts? See: http://www.citizenlink.org/Stoplight/A000011274.cfm )Obama has done nothing but create more problems for the global warming crowd by spewing his hot air all the time.

“Shouldn’t you be in study hall, Ryan, or binge drinking at some off-campus happy hour?” Actually, I’ve never had a drink in my life…

“Young man, leave the serious thinking to the adults.” Well, If adults like you thought seriously, I’d have nothing to worry about. Besides, to the best of my knowledge only “adults” can vote… which I already have done (I think you can handle the logical conclusion there…

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

“Actually, I’m not at all impatient… I don’t want any of those things to come about!”
    Well that’s odd, Ryan. If you; “don’t want any of those things to come about”, then why bring them up at all? I’m surprised as well that you don’t want a resolution Iraq, an economic recovery, Iran & N. Korea solutions, Middle East peace, Osama Bin Laden be found, or spending cuts.
    “Obama…said that if we didn’t pass the stimulus bill that the economy would go off a cliff, explode in flames, and never recover.” Yes, Ryan, our economy, along with the world’s, would be in tatters right now had it not been for the stimulus.
    ‘Shouldn’t you be in study hall, Ryan, or binge drinking at some off-campus happy hour?’ “Actually, I’ve never had a drink in my life…” Well, that a BIG part of your problem right there!
    Have you ever studied, Ryan, or do you just pray that your “god” will inject your head with “book learnin’”?

• Ryan says:

I brought up all of those issues because those are things Obama had/has on his agenda, and he is failing.

• Ryan says:

P.S. I simply don’t want Obama’s solution to all of the above listed problems. I certainly DO want those problems resolved.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

You sound very confused, Ryan. Where are you studying, at some anonymous “bible college”? Liberty or Regent University? That’ll just make matters worse.

• Frank says:

Listen, there’s no better way to wake up than to those kinds of numbers in the morning. Coffee pales in comparison, and I’m a junky. PLUS there’s this new site up http://www.discoverdeeds.com

• Michael says:

IBOB – I’ll take a private school over a public school anytime – mmm mmm mmm….BHO…

• RichmondDem says:

Michael–

That’s such a moronic statement I don’t know where to startY!

You’d rather go to Bob Jones than UVA?

You’d rather go to that Saudi Madrassa in Fairfax rather than a FFX County HS?

RD, let me tell you something you may find interesting (BTW, nice extreme comparisons echoing ibob’s corrosive bitterness).

My 16 year old is in the county alternative program. Not because she is a discipline problem, or substance abuse, or truancy problem.

She tests well (600 on last year’s SOL, exceptional PSATs), but she doesn’t do homework. She sees no relationship to the material, or the benefit to be gained.

Her guidance counselor recommended she give alternative a try when she told her teahcers “I’m no longar interested in the honors program. I thought it would be more information, but it’s just more busy work. I see no point in cutting out pictures from magazines to illustrate 400 file cards for words I’ve already memorized. I’ve read the rubric, and I understand not doing it will make me fail, and I’m fine with that. I’m not doing it, because I think it’s bs.”

God works in mysterious ways, doesn’t he? lol

Well, there are alternative kids who do have some issues, and don’t have a lot of academic strengths as a result. Some of her schoolmates are pretty sketchy in history, math and science, but you know what?

Most of them DO know the world is being destroyed by humans, and having kids is irresponsible not to themselves but toward the planet, and the environment is completely poisoned, and only an organic vegetarian diet is even remotely responsible.

It may be better to call them government schools instead of public schools. And we certainly seem to have a state religion!

God works in mysterious ways, doesn’t he? lol

It may be better to call them government schools instead of public schools, and in some ways they are still a great equalizer, but with the intense government input, unfortunately on occasion it is toward a lowest common denominator.

Sorry for double posting! when I tried the first time, it said page could not be displayed.

• RichmondDem says:

Barbara–

That sounds *exactly* like me in High School so I sympathize. Never got sent to an alternative program but I hated the boredom and busy work. I only got into college because of a high SAT score not because of my grades. I graduated college with a 3.5 even though I left high school with a much much lower GPA.

The problem with public education (and this happens in a lot of private schools too, btw) is that its become such a factory-type system where every kid is treated as an interchangeable part. This is OK for an average kid but the slower ones or the ones from difficult backgrounds are left behind, while the smart kids get bored.

And as I said before, this happens in private school too. I have a cousin that went to a high dollar boarding school on a scholarship, the same issues exist there–teacher burnout, teaching to the test, busywork, etc.

But I also had a lot of great teachers in High School–including one very right wing English teacher!

• RichmondDem says:

Despite that Americas higher edication (colleges and grad schools), public and private, is still world class. Its not for nothing that we get so many foreign students.

And even if you look at our Elementary school test scores in reading and math (fourth graders IIRC) were equal to or better than Europe and Japan. Its Middle and H.S. Where the USA does the worst.

The major problem I see is the messaging that makes its way into every subject–once one is in, every other deserves equal time under government rules.

It results in a lot of top down (often unfunded!) mandates, which plays hell with the budget too.

I salute the Loudoun alternative program. It’s been great for my daughter, who wants to finish high school that way. She goes in, she does her work, she leaves, her GPA has come up a full point since starting last year.

It is often wrongly stigmatized as for “bad” or “dumb” kids, when it actually fulfills mandated requirements as efficiently as possible.

Some of the kids who need to have no outside school work, because their families need their help with real world work, find it a godsend.

• My uses for the Washington Post (my mother-in-law still subscribes to the Sunday edition):

1. fireplace tinder
    2. spray paint overspray screen
    3. smashing bugs
    4. catching the oil drip from the lanscaper’s truck
    5. table cover for pumpkin carving
    6. Sunday coupons
    7. papier mache for kids’ projects
    8. lining the cat carrier
    9. tug of war with the dog
    10. …

well couldn’t come up with 10 uses for the Post because it is a rather useless thing. Havn’t read the Post in many years….havn’t read any newspaper in years. They all deserve to go away and stop smudging the fingers of Americans.

• wolverine says:

Speaking of getting your news via the “dead tree” means or via the internet, I’ve heard talk recently of some newspapers trying to recoup losses by charging fees for those articles they put on the internet. Given the fall in advertising revenues and the diminishing sales of papers, I’m willing to bet we may see something like that in the near future for the current news, not just the archives. Either way, we may be paying for our “subscriptions.”

• Loudoun Lady says:

Barbara, Where is the Loudoun Alternative Program? One location for the whole county? I have a problem in general with the whole square peg/round hole approach to public HS education, everything is geared towards going into college. We need more vocational training, private/Public partnerships for work programs and apprenticeships. I heard Sheila Johnson speak very eloquently on this very topic in Loudoun at a “Women for Bob McDonnell” event and it was like a breath of fresh air.

• Michael says:

Richmond Dem – It’s obvious you set your sites very low, hence a Democrat I guess. Try Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton etc. get the picture. Yes there are some fine public institutions, but they are chock full of the liberal left academia world…Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll stick with the private schools anyday.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

You’re a d!ckhead, Mikey.
    American colleges & universities, “are chock full of the liberal left” for two primary reasons:
    - Liberals value and promote education while you nutjobs criticize and demean learning.
    - Learning opens the mind which leads one naturally to reject the irrational, bigoted, homophobic, hate-filled thinking of the right-wing.

ibob, do you ever choke when spitting out your message of “tolerance”? lol

Loudoun Lady, yes, just one. Unfortunately for any public (government) system, the tonnage of (unfunded) overall mandates is hard to get around in terms of more individualized programs.

That was the problem for my daughter–she was desirous of the carrot of advanced info and learning. She had zero interest in a stick of (to her, meaningless) credentials designed to pile up for admissions.

She knows what she’s interested in, and has already begun to pursue it. She doesn’t have much of an interest in what the current mandated pipeline has become.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

“ibob, do you ever choke when spitting out your message of ‘tolerance’? lol”
    Do you mean “tolerance” of a$$h*les like Mikey, Babs? LOL No.

Gee, you sound so open minded.

Wide open.

Hear-the-wind open.

Confident, too!

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

Why Babs, you do flatter me so…

• Michael says:

IBOB – I believe in individual responsibility, liberty, free market, limited government, low taxes. You believe in a collectivism, fascism, keyensian economics, statism, big government, tyranny and fat taxes. I disagree with your line of thinking in every respect. A new Gallop poll out says 40% have a conservative idealogue, 20% liberal and 38% independent…thankfully, it looks like there are more of me out there than you.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

You have no idea what I believe in, Mikey, or how I think; your arrogant assumptions aside. You, on the other hand, proudly flaunt your selfish inhumanity as though it were a virtue. That makes you a true douche.
    If it’s true that 40% of Gallop respondents self-identified as conservative, 38% independent, and 20% liberal, how do you explain liberal control of the White House and Congress? It looks a though you’ve got LOTS of work to do before conservatism triumphs at the ballot box.

• Ryan says:

-”Liberals value and promote education while you nutjobs criticize and demean learning”

No, liberals value education (paying teachers), because the NEA is basically a branch of the Democratic Party. (To turn around a phrase used by the Obama admin about a certain news agency.)

Actually, conservatives value learning far above the value that liberals place on learning… That’s why we are not liberal: We have learned better.

• Ryan says:

“You have no idea what I believe in, Mikey, or how I think”

Actually, I think you are VERY VERY VERY clear about what you think IBOB. Not one person on this blog states their beliefs in a stronger or more offensive way than the Bleeding Liberal (IBOB).

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

Teachers don’t deserve to be paid, Ryan?
    Teachers vote for Democratic Party candidates because, unlike you wingnuts, Democrats respect them and the work they do.
    “Conservatives value learning far above the value that liberals place on learning.” As evidenced by…what? The vast body of conservative scholarship? The countless august institutions of higher learning controlled or led by conservatives? The domination of conservatism in higher education?
    You make me laugh, Ryan. Welcome back!

• Bloodclot…you seem to think that Obama is still the guy the country elected just 11 months ago. Truth is, the independents bolted right away. Then the moderate Dems started to abort.
    That election, should it be held today, would have yeilded McCain by a strong double digit margin.

• I Bleed Obama Blue says:

A Handful of Spunk –
    “…you seem to think that Obama is still the guy the country elected just 11 months ago. Truth is, the independents bolted right away. Then the moderate Dems started to abort. That election, should it be held today, would have yielded McCain by a strong double digit margin.” Of course you’re wrong, Spunk. It matters not, however: Barack Obama is president, and a popular one at that. Deal with it.
    “We’ve all told you at one time or the other. Watch 2010. It’s going to become your reality (nightmare)” Yesw, and here’s what it sounds like:Blah, blah, blah. That’s a nice little masturbatory fantasy you’ve got there, Spunk. Enjoy it while you can.

• Leej says:

OK folks now don’t fall over dead when I say this ;-)

Dalyn and I ran into McGimsey at the open house at the Art Institute in the neon building.

I talked to her quite a bit and actually found her very charming and articulate and I do mean that.

Then I got the brilliant idea of setting our differences aside and have them throw paint on us like they did during the art demonstration illustrating modern art. :-) Too bad it did not happen ha ha ha .

• Cato the Elder says:

“ibob do you ever choke when spitting out your message of “tolerance”?”
    Oh, he chokes alright. See the next quote re: the culprit…
    “A Handful of Spunk”