Pataki Endorses Hoffman, Game Over for Scozzafava

By Too Conservative

Former NY Governor George Pataki’s endorsement of Doug Hoffman for Congress is as far as I’m concerned the most meaningful endorsement in the race yet. With national Republicans having gotten involved, many to shore up their “conservative bonafides” (i.e. most of whom randomly endorsed for their own political gain), Pataki would only have gotten involved if Hoffman was the best chance we had to win.

A week ago, this race could have gone either way. While I think this race sets a horrible precedent for us as a party, supporting conservative candidates over our parties nominees, I understand the importance of retaining this seat.

That all said, I just donated to Doug Hoffman. If you feel like doing so, you can here.

Comments

• kelley in virginia says:

This race (& a possible Hoffman win–or even this tremendous showing) is impt because MAYBE it will cause the Repubs to wake up. sure, there are many moderate Repubs & that is just fine. But the Repubs in Congress need to understand that they can move right & still be re-elected (alot of them anyway). We need these lazy ass Repubs to start screaming about Pelosi & Co. We are out here; we hear them; we support them. That is what they need to know.

• Loudoun Lady says:

TC, It doesn’t set a horrible precedent as a party because in NY there is legitimate Conservative Party? Anyone that wants to argue that Hoffman shouldn’t run needs to argue that the Conservative Party is not allowed to put up their own candidate.

Republicans are backing the conservative which merely makes those Republicans intellectually honest, which has been severly lacking for the better part of 10-15 years.

• Bwana says:

Of course, we may get a taste of this in 2010 in Va 10. Apparently Jim Trautz, a devoted Tea Party guy, is running against Frank Wolf for the GOP nomination.

• kelley in virginia says:

This Hoffman race raises questions that will be answered in next year’s Cong races. For example, there is a young man, Bradley Rees, who has announced against Perriello (Dem 5th CD, VA). He has a gun conviction on his record. (hey, I like guns–just saying that he has record). He says he is scrapping any attempt to get the REPUB nomination & will run as a 3d party candidate. He says if this maneuver costs RePub votes & re-elects Perriello, then so be it. This is where I must depart from the “hooray for the 3d party conservative” mentality. Perriello must go because he is a proven lib.

• Cato the Elder says:

Yeah. Horrible precedent. Please. The NRCC went shopping for a pliable candidate who would play ball and round trip campaign cash to their preferred vendors, and they got their punk card pulled. Which is exactly what should have happened. http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2009/10/how-the-nrcc-bungled-ny-23.html

• Dan (Not the liberal one) says:

Trautz will go the way of Vern McKinley before him…and as for Rees, the difference is we don’t have a viable third party here and I don’t see the likes of Sarah Palin or other prominent GOPers rushing to endorse him.

• Brian S says:

Cato, the NRCC has denied that charge, and it doesn’t make a lot of sense for them to stick their fingers in a local race like that.
    As for the precedent, I agree. LL, Rush Limbaugh himself recognized yesterday that the “Conservative Party” in New York isn’t a true third party – it’s simply a pressure group of conservatives who swing into action when they believe the Republicans are nominating someone that’s too moderate. Most of the time, they end up endorsing the Republican nominee. It’s only rare when they’ve done otherwise, like when the supporter Al D’Amato against Jacob Javits in the Senate.
    The local parties should be allowed to nominate whomever they wish without interference from the national party or from outside groups. There are some areas where conservatives simply can’t win. Running Ron Paul in Massachusetts is simply asking to lose.

• Rob Iola says:

The problem with Hoffman being viable in NY-23 is that it could cost Christie the NJ governor race – if enough Daggett supporters (who poll towards Christie over Corzine as their 2nd choice) see this and therefore infer that their indepedent candidate is viable they’ll vote for him instead of Christie. So conservatives potentially win NY-23 while losing NJ, or put another way, turn a current Republican House seat slightly more “red” while losing a chance to win back a Democratic Governorship.

Strained logic to be sure, but intraparty “3rd party” candidates are a real problem for just this reason…

• Lauren Yoder says:

Rob,
    I would take that as a win. I would much rather have a conservative in congress than as Gov. of NJ. Congress affects me in Va but a bad gov in NJ will just drive more business south to Va.

• Cato the Elder says:

“Cato, the NRCC has denied that charge”
    Well gee Brian, what would you expect them to say? The evidence pretty much speaks for itself. Judging from the campaign expenditures it’s either gross incompetence or pay-to-play, take your pick.

• Loudoun Lady says:

Good Point Lauren, but Republican Governors have strength in numbers too, something like opting out of Obamacare is important (if it’s even a provision in the final bill, who the hell knows).

• Lauren Yoder says:

LL, that is true however I would bet that when the final bill is passed it will cost more to opt out of the healthcare mess than to stay. The Federal goverment is really good at saying a program is voluntary but making it almost impossible for the states to opt out.

• Brian S says:

Cato, it doesn’t make any sense for the NRCC to get involved. What do they care who wins a primary up there as long as they’re a Republican? You guys get on me for caring about organizational votes, but that’s ALL the NRCC cares about. That’s their job – electing Republicans, regardless of ideology. They’ve got no incentive to go up there and fiddle with a nominations fight in an open-seat special election.
    If this were choosing between an incumbent and a primary challenger, I could see your point. But that’s not the case here.

• Loudoun Lady says:

I agree again Lauren, it will be structured such that the states will be suckered in – however unity among the Governors speaking out against the cost of opting out and the bill (before it is passed) is good. Obviously Christi (if he wins) will not be in office for this bill passage but my larger point is, a majority of Governors being Republicans has it’s advantages.

• Cato the Elder says:

Brian, it certainly does make perfect sense if you want to keep your preferred vendors well fed in an off election year. So they thought they could both cruise to victory AND shovel some cash out, and they miscalculated. You’ve been around this town long enough to know this, I’d think.

• James Young says:

I’m terribly torn over this. As a member of an official committee of the Republican Party of Virginia, I’ve taken an oath to support all of the party’s nominees in the ensuing election. On the other hand, I find very little about Scozzafava to characterize AS a Republican; Hoffman is by far a superior choice. Local NY GOP officials thoroughly screwed this up, and they may well reap the whirlwind.

• [...] there is no arguing that Hoffman was more conservative than Scozzafava, and as I mentioned earlier I donated money to Doug’s campaign. The issue I have is the horrible precedent it sets of certain national leaders getting [...]

• Jim Trautz says:

Dan, I wouldn’t bet against me.

Unlike Mr. McKinley and others, I’m not intimidated by the good ‘ol boy party insiders, nor do I stand in “awe” of them. I am acutely aware of and understand the dynamics of Republican politics here in Northern Virginia. More importantly, as an outsider looking in, I can relate to what people in the 10th Congressional District want and need. What they want is leadership. What they’re looking for is someone – ANYONE who’s willing to take a risk and stand on principle, even if it means putting your 30 year CAREER in politics on the line. What they don’t want is the guy who “plays it safe” all the time or someone who’s satisfied with simply collecting a paycheck.

The days of people voting for a person with an (“R”) behind their name, simply because there is no viable alternative are over. Understand that Bob McDonnell won because of his conservative values, NOT because he was a Republican. Remember – Newt, Lindsey Graham, Olympia Snowe, John McCain, Susan Collins, Joseph Cao, and Frank Wolf are all Republicans too.

For the record, I’m no Vern McKinley nor am I Frank Wolf. My name is Jim Trautz, and I wouldn’t bet against me.