Ladies and Gentlemen … The Janet Clarke Five!!!

Wow – imagine my surprise when I opened my email to find this masterpiece awaiting me this morning!  A talented TC reader put this together and sent it on (as always I encourage anyone out there to contribute similarly if they have the imagination and talent).

This is a spoof on the 60s pop band The Dave Clark Five – the original album cover is provided below the fold.  And the five involved here are those who capriciously voted to enact Clarke’s retribution on Economic Development Committee member Steve Mackey for daring to speak out in opposition to Purcellville’s condemnation of the center of Crooked Run Orchard.

Something tells me this episode isn’t over.  The Pville Mafia doesn’t take kindly to being exposed.  Unfortunately for them they are now operating on a bigger stage and this BS is not going to fly.  The other supervisors need to think long and hard before signing on to similar stunts, and they definitely need to speak personally with Steve Mackey as he offered.  As always there are two sides to every story and I bet they’ve only heard one.

Here’s the first introductory video from the group.  Watch Janet trace out the path of the Southern Collector Road right through Crooked Run Orchard at 1:10!

Comments

• Not Business Friendly Board says:

Already they are insulting business owners in the county. This behavior is worse than Stevens Miller calling them shadow government. Business friend only if you subscribe to our Pville Mafia agenda. This should be no surprise.

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

“By ‘business’ I mean ‘developers’…. oh and I don’t like that controlling eminent domain thing it gets in the way of my goals for western Loudoun and those of contributors.”

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

Truly a funny graphic, btw. Well done.

I have to say the arrangement of the heads is perfect!

• Ben Dover says:

That graphic is too funny…..in fact, it makes me feel “Glad All Over.”

• NotJohnSMosby says:

LI, you need to pace yourself. You have 3 years, 11 months and 3 weeks left with your incredible 9-0 Republican BoS. This is what you wanted – complete Republican control of Loudoun County government. All elected offices I believe. So, Republicans can’t have any gripes, can they? This is your dream team. Revel in the light of it.

• Greg L says:

When I filmed this Janet wasn’t discussing some sort of grand transportation design she had, but filling me in on some of the development issues that had been difficult to resolve in the Blue Ridge district. Since I wasn’t that familiar with the history, she was kind enough to bring me up to speed on a few issues, and that road project around Purceville was one of them. At that point in the footage she was responding to some of my questions.

If there’s anyone to “blame” for what she was pointing at right then, it would be me, not her. Be careful not to read too much into my “b roll” footage as it often is a reflection of what I think is visually interesting much more than what my subject is concerned with.

• Baron Rosedown says:

This graphic is a hysterical masterpiece. Shame on Janet Clarke and the four other pernicious Supervisors that voted with her. Disgusting and predictably despicable.

NJSM, this is absolutely NOT what I wanted. I know you are not a super regular here, but I get all sorts of grief for being a Democract because I did not believe this 9-0 slate was best for Loudoun County. Unfortunately, it looks like some of my worst premonitions are coming true already, less than a week into their term.

Greg, as usual, the quality of your video work is outstanding. You absolutely produced the best video spots for anyone this past campaign season. I know you’re not super familiar with all that’s going on here, but this SCR project has been hugely controversial, and has involved a lot of skanky insider politics. Knowing you and your sympathy for and willingness to help the underdog against the government (Rack n Roll being the prime example – bravo) you would absolutely be defending the owners of Crooked Run Orchard from the heavy hand of the Purcellville Town Council, on which Clarke once served.

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

“…filling me in on some of the development issues that had been difficult to resolve in the Blue Ridge district…and that road project around Purceville was one of them.”

That “difficult to resolve road project” (I am sure this is what Clarke thinks of it) is to Sam Brown his property which is being forcibly taken away from him and impacting his livelihood (to say nothing of it being one of the few actively operating agricultural operation still in existence in the area – so much for preservation). Ever since the Purcellville southern annexation, Sam Brown has been informaed that he is simply in the way and must yield to the P’ville TC and their development plans.

Given that Sam Brown’s farm is at the nexis of the eminent domain case and given that Higgins voted to “condemn” the curent ED restriction legislation working its way through the state legislature, how can he continue to claim to be a preservationist?

We are all Sam Brown.

Eric, maybe you need to have a video photoshop of a “Spartacus” clip?

Great long comment just made by Uta Brown, of Crooked Run Orchard, in an older SCR Thread:

Uta Brown
    January 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM (Edit)

If you really believe in self-determination, you believe that the residents of the town should be defining what THEY want from their government officials. I suggest those of you who have opinions about this subject but don’t know this town visit us and see what’s going on. You should go talk to the business owners and see how they are feeling. But as a 21-year resident I can tell you several things that might surprise you. The small business owners are not happy. They fear that this commercial development at the edge of town will hollow out the historic district and ruin their businesses. By the way, chain stores are subsidized businesses and DRAIN money from the municipalities they do business in, while small, private businesses keep the money in the community. The town has constantly violated PUGAMP by using special exceptions to put businesses where they shouldn’t be. There will be two side-by-side big chain pharmacies and another one planned right down the road. The third grocery store will cause Bloom to fail, thereby increasing blighted properties. Hundreds of small business licenses in P’ville have been cancelled in the past three years. Restaurants such as Moms have and are failing or just holding on. Overbuilding in a recession will allow the big boys to survive but destroy all the little guys. Then we will become nothing more than a pit stop, rather than a genuine town. Smart growth, not mindless growth, is what we need.

As far as the SCR is concerned, the legal issues are frightening. Quick-take is a form of eminent domain that does not allow any recourse in law to the victim of the seizure of land. There have been five quick takes in recent years in Purcellville, all on small businesses and ALL for the benefit of a developer. That is the transfer of land from A to B. This is not the intent of the original “public USE” of our forefathers. But the terrible aspect of these quick-takes is that the taxpayer will now pay for the improvements that should have been proffered BY THE DEVELOPER. If you believe in capitalism, shouldn’t the developer be willing to take the risks of investing like all those small business owners have taken? Why should the taxpayer subsidize his business?

The reason Mr. Brown gave Sam a fractional interest is that he wanted the brothers to negotiate. A fractional interest is very powerful and does not allow the majority owner to sell the land without first buying the interest out. Sam’s father wanted to save the land as farm and wanted to give equal shares at the same time. It was the perfect solution, in fact, as it did indeed give us a chance to negotiate, and we bought Tim out. We both got what we wanted.

Lastly, the SCR itself, and why we fought it. First of all, the town has NEVER ONCE spoken to us or written to us about how we are supposed to get to our back forty-five once the road is built. They will be cutting us off from our own land. Crossing a road with slow farm machinery is dangerous. That forces Sam to go on the road and that’s also dangerous but it’s also very inconvenient for the commuters. The town has assured “the public” that they will give us “safe passage”. What does that mean? We grow all sorts of crops on that back forty-five and our customers like to walk back there.

A true measure of the malice in which they proceeded with the quick-take was that they did it TWO YEARS before they intended to build. They took a great deal of our parking and anyone who knows our business knows that that is very detrimental to our pick-your-own operation.

But much more important than that, the SCR WILL NOT relieve traffic. In fact, it will make traffic MUCH WORSE. And if you don’t believe me, you should come up here and see what is going on and what is being planned for the future. And you should speak to the citizens of this town whose wishes are routinely ignored by the Town Council, which holds public hearings that are a joke, since everything is decided ahead of time. If you believe roads relieve traffic, and you’ve lived in Loudoun for any length of time, you truly haven’t made the connections. I suggest you read Tony Vanderbilt’s book, Traffic” in which you will learn that NOT building roads and even REMOVING roads can actually DECREASE traffic.

My point is this, who should be determining the look and feel of the town? Shouldn’t it be the taxpayer who lives there?

We have no doubt that the road will be built. I suggest all you criticizing us come up here now, and then visit us later and see whether or not you see the SCR as an “improvement.”

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

Let’s hope you never get in the way of “progress”, Barb.

Delgaudio’s head is just a liiiiiitle too big on the album cover. I wonder if that was intentional.

ED, that is always the case. His head is too big for most everything.

So yes…I think it was intentional.

I finally had a chance to watch the BOS webcast video of this mess. What an absolute train wreck. Scroll to time stamp of 5:11 and watch until 5:17 to see your Board of Supervisors in action.

• NotJohnSMosby says:

Doesn’t it look like the old guy with a beard, on his knees, is moving in towards Eugene’s crotch?

That’s new Loudoun Supervisor Ken Reid, NJSM, who used to go by the name “Black/Delgaudio Fan” here on TC, so I doubt it, being that they are the two preeminent anti-gay warriors in Virginia.

I do think Eugene looks a little like Liberace in this montage, however.

Shush NJSM. That is next months campaign theme for Delgaudio’s day job. Dz

The SCR was justifiably dead until Lazaro and his faction put it back on the plan. Wonder if that could have anything to do with the friendly interest he took in Patrick Henry College about the same time. PHC students keep turning up all over the county as campaign volunteers, etc. How is what the town did to the Browns not one of the takings that the property righters keep screeching about. No they see fictitious ones in downzoning and bay protection, but they ignore a real one. The back room deals and payback political atmosphere in Purcellville under Lazaro seems to be coming to the board along with Clarke. The Dave Clark Five are way too clean cut for this recent Clarke crowd but I’m enjoying the graphic.

There are no bandannas to be seen around the Brown farm…

• Not In Purcellville says:

Does Janet Clarke have a speech impediment? She can’t put a sentence together.