LCDC Takes a Swing at Delgaudio – and Misses

Evan Macbeth, the newly minted chairman of the Loudoun County Democratic Committee, leads off his administration with a  call for Supervisor Eugene Delgaudio to resign following a report from the Southern Poverty Law Center that called Delgaudio’s Public Advocate of the United
States . . . a hate group.  [Dramatic “daa daa daaa” here]

Swing and a miss for Macbeth.  Not that Delgaudio deserves any slack, but, if you’ve ever read a paper or a blog in this town, you’d know (quite well) that Public Advocate is, and has been, about as anti-homosexual as they come.

The Dems will have to do a heck of a lot better than just relaying the scorn of some leftist group from Montgomery, Alabama if they ever expect to take out Eugene.

Comments

• Jim G says:

The Southern Poverty Law Center is no random small group. It’s a prety big deal, actually.

This will have exactly zero effect on Delgaudio, and will probably help him with fund raising.

The Dems should have done a better job recruiting candidates with a shot at winning last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, if they really wanted him gone. Sometimes I think they want to keep him around to help with their fund raising.

• James Young says:

So opposition to the radical homosexual agenda is “hate.”

Interesting dismissal of the standards of every major religious and 5000 years of civilized societies.

Lloyd, shame on you! This has nothing to do with the LCDC it is all about Delgaudio winning his national recognition as a bonafide hate merchant. The LCDC didn’t sponsor him for this notoriety. In fact, the news broke via LTM and no mention of the LCDC was uttered in that article.

So I am not surprised the LCDC jumped on it, but really, Delgaudio is way beyond the benefit of any doubt. He is to live with this one all by himself. This must be like Academy Award night for Eugene. Sans the red carpet and glitz.

I am awaiting the next cash cry from Delgaudio bragging that he is now in the company of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church cats.

Let me put it this way if Fred Phelps was a member of our esteemed Loudoun Board of Supervisors wouldn’t most of us take great issue with him representing Loudoun County?

Delgaudio is a huckster. Too bad the LCDC is so ridiculously inept that he gets re-elected every time. What great choices we have in Loudoun County.

I read the predictable Mark Sell defense. What a tool. Until we hear further I have to assume every other member of the BOS agrees with the defense of Eugene, Fred Phelps, Delgaudio.

At the least there needs to be an official statement or resolution from our Board that communicates to folks that we as Loudoun citizens do not agree with being associated with the Westboro Baptist Church, nor do we condone like actions.

It’s time to show real leadership not hugs. Stand up and tell us where you are on this issue BOS!

I couldn’t find a Mark Sell response anywhere, BO, please post it. They took me off their email list a while ago if that’s how you saw it (although it would be surprising they left you on!).

If Eugenes only defense is his public advocate website then he is truly in total denial.

How about those finances Eugene? Care to open the books up for an official audit?

• Leesburg Dad says:

Sell’s comments were in a Washington Post Blog:

But Mark Sell, chairman of the Loudoun County Republican Committee, instead denounced an online petition created by Macbeth and circulated by Loudoun Democrats, demanding Delgaudio’s resignation.

“It is not surprising to me that the Loudoun County Democrats are circulating petitions regarding this issue,” Sell said in a statement Monday. “This will probably be the first of many attacks on sitting Republican elected officials. These types of attacks only take focus away from the issues Loudoun County residents are concerned about, such as education, transportation and taxes.”

Yup, it’s all about the LCDC in Mark Sells mind. How about dealing with the real issue Mark Sell? Spinning this into something about the LCDC is cowardice. How about facing the fact a Loudoun County Republican elected representative just made the news again for being a hate merchant. Rather than giving pandering quotes to the press you should be spending time on the phone with the other elected Rs and deciding how you are going to clean this mess up.

Delgaudio is smiling. More cash will be coming in soon.

• Joe Budzinski says:

This is not a “conservative” appraisal, either.

Among their targets, Tea Party, Sarah Palin, and Larry Pratt (Head of GOA)

And, yes, anyone who does not support gay marriage is considered a hate group.

As the excellent Matthew Vadum described SPLC: ”

Obsessed with fundraising, the
    fabulously wealthy Southern Poverty Law
    Center exaggerates the scope of racism in
    the United States to frighten donors into
    opening their wallets. SPLC is nominally a
    public interest law firm, but it spends little
    on actual litigation. Instead, it uses politi-
    cally skewed definitions of racism to indoc-
    trinate children while smearing conserva-
    tives who question racial preference pro-
    grams.

Indeed, Mr. Delgaudio should use this in his next fundraising letter.

No doubt he will nuse it in his next letter Joe.

So, in a presidential election year we have a “war on women” that has fizzled with the Martin-Zimmerman issue, so racism is alive and well, and now we have this.

Actually, Mark Sell’s statement does have a point. Obama can’t run on his record, and he and his peeps have a gaffe a day, so let’s DO talk about the various social issues instead.

This intrigued me from the LTM:
    “based on research compiled through…field sources and news reports”

Well, we have some great field sources here in Loudoun, who network very effectively–they’ve gotten Delgaudio on the Daily Show before, and through NARAL and the gay rights blog network did a lot of last-minute fundraising for Nevarez last October. They also succeed in getting the occasional article in the Loudoun papers, so maybe this is just a congratulations to the locals who make Eugene their life’s work for getting him national recognition?

• Jim G says:

Barbara, for once stop the spinning. We all know Eugene brings the attention on himself with his aggressive hate — which he doesn’t even believe, you know. He just prays on the backward beliefs of people like Joe B, takes their money and laughs all the way to the bank.

“takes their money and laughs all the way to the bank.”

As do all official groups who fundraise on their own hot button issues, like WWF and numerous other “nature” groups, and PETA, the ASPCA and numerous other “animal rights” groups, and UN NGO spinoffs, and so on.

No spin, jimg. Purple VA has women and gay rights so far, battleground FL has the New Black Panthers offering a “bounty” for a “white Hispanic” that is supposedly up to a million.

And yesterday the Pres was overheard on an open mike saying he’d have “more flexibility” on missile defense “after my election”.

By George, yes, let’s focus (distract) and inflame the base! Where can I get me some of that Red White and Blue nailpolish with the Obama logo? Does it come with little decals of the Rising O?

btw, looky what happened yesterday while everyone was tracking the lynch mob, remembering to say “vagina” four times an hour, and “breaking” the SPLC story:

How much more flexibility does Obama and the base think he needs, exactly?

Barbara, this is the Delgaudio thread. There will be a catch-all righteous indignation thread soon I’m sure.

Pace yourself.

eb, Delgaudio IS one of the catch-alls of righteous indignation (always, but currently along with vaginas and white Hispanic racists–nice dismissal, btw) for the crowd that can’t afford to talk about anything but wedges.

I suggest they pace themselves–Fluke the new Cindy Sheehan fizzled pretty quick, and the Martin-Zimmerman thing doesn’t appear to be following the proper formula either.

Delgaudio will fundraise with this, as will the SPLC. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming…

• Cato the Elder says:

“How much more flexibility does Obama and the base think he needs, exactly?”

The flexibility to bend at the waist 90 degrees and administer a rusty trombone to Vladimir Putin.

• Liz Miller says:

I agree that a petition asking Eugene to resign just feeds Eugene’s fundraising machine. What I would like to see is a retraction of the LTM endorsement.

Liz, you may have to wait four years–the election was over a few months ago.

At least the one where Delgaudio was running, instead of Obama.

Yeah. This is a win/win for stupidity: SPLC wins, Delgaudio wins.

The losers are those funding the hype — as it should be.

Joe my friend, I see a big difference between an organization that identifies hate groups and organizations that hate.

That is the significant difference here, and yes I agree all of them raise money for their cause. Including the KKK, Westboro Baptist Church and Eugene.

I know which side of the fence I’d rather be giving the benefit of the doubt to.

As for Vadum’s statement…sounds like Eugene went to his seminar: “obsessed with fundraising”, “frighten donors into opening their wallets”, spend little on the actual mission, “politically skews definitions”, “indoctrinates children”, smears the other party. Geez, the only thing missing here is wear a orange hate while doing so.

• NoMoreSecrets says:

LCDC has missed the point. We all know what Eugene is all about, and knew it well before this last election – and Loudoun citizens keep electing him via lawful and democratic means. LCDC’s petition and demands of resignation are mere lip service to cover up their inability to find a viable candidate who can defeat Delgaudio, or to get moderates to the polls. To me, that’s the real problem with Loudoun — that the citizens keep electing people like Eugene Delgaudio, and that the Democrats and moderates are so inept that they can’t stop complaining long enough to recruit a serious contender…. and then show up to vote for him/her. This is not Eugene’s fault, but can be “blamed” squarely on the citizens who exercise their constitutional rights. If LCDC and DPVA would take a look at reality once in awhile, perhaps we could finally see progress in Loudoun and Virginia.

Liz, I think we need to see something more pertinent.

I would like to see the BOS issue a statement or resolution stating that Loudoun County does not condone the behaviors of a SPLC identified hate merchant as a leader of our government.

Silence harbors the hate.

NMS, you are correct. How the LCDC has not been able to put forth a winning candidate against an easy target like Eugene is criminal.

That said, it is not a valid reason to defend or excuse the behavior of Eugene. Two totally separate issues here. I am not sure how you can blame the LCDC for actions Eugene takes on his own, or the notoriety he brings to Loudoun for it.

Barbara, no, I’m talking about LTM expressing regret for endorsing a man whose “antics” have gotten him listed as a hate monger. I’m talking about the LTM stepping UP and taking a little responsibility for saying that the Eugene Delgaudios of the world are acceptable choices for electoral office.

Now, it’s true, I’d like to see a similar statement come out of the mouths of the full slate of Republicans who got elected with Eugene (especially from York who HUGGED him), but I aim for what I think I can get.

I don’t see any of you people stepping up to run against him. I don’t see anyone in the LCRC who doesn’t want to be represented by Delgaudio challenging him to a primary. I don’t see any of you whiners working to find anyone you’d like better.

LCDC fielded Jeanne West, who was awesome, but refused to go negative.

You’ve got someone you think can win against The Man in the Orange Hat? Run that person.

• G.Stone says:

“SPLC is itself primarily a fundraising organization and anyone who ends up on one of their lists should wear it as a badge of honor.”

Joe, you beat me to it. Correct.

“Delgaudio is smiling. More cash will be coming in soon.”

Yes he will be cashing in on his oppositions stupidity. This is a gift.

West was probably outspent 10 to 1.

Ah, the infamous hug.

A defining moment for York. The embrace of Eugene. Or is that a re-defining moment. York can take that back by addressing the continued attention Eugene’s hate group brings to Loudoun.

Maybe the BOS can figure out a pesticide treatment that can deal with this threat to our county.

• G.Stone says:

“LCDC fielded Alfonso Nevarez, who was awesome – a tough campaigner, and I didn’t see any of y’all come out to work with him.”

Al was a certified Union goofball. Thank goodess he was dispatched to the losers bracket. I don’t think I have seen anyone in the history of Loudoun politics so divorced from reality. This guy was scary.

• “LCDC fielded Jeanne West, who was awesome, but refused to go negative. ”

BIG mistake on her part if, in fact, that was the case.

• Eric the 1/2 troll says:

“And, yes, anyone who does not support gay marriage is considered a hate group.”

All I will say on the subject is I think what ED does is just a BIT more than not “support gay marriage”. Don’t you, Joe?

Stoner, it’s a sad inference to think fearful people troll the SPLC hate map for organizations to give to.

Just got to wonder how low someone goes to exploit being labeled a hate group as a fund raising opportunity.

Liz, do you think that endorsement got him a majority in a split race against an “awesome” union guy from DailyKos?

The formula here is as usual: local Dems network to get local issue related to national single issue on a statewide or national outlet.

While awaiting the state or national break, they prepare their own presspack (petition, interview, blogpost, LTE) on how embarrassing it is to be on said state or national outlet. Collect addresses, fundraise.

Local R, target of national single issue, publicizes Dem press release. Fundraises.

And the beat goes on

I don’t give a rat’s ass if it did. I care about my local paper endorsing a hate monger in an election. I care about my local paper giving legitimacy to a hate monger in an election. I care about my local paper continuing to stand by that endorsement.

Better they should have endorsed Mitt Romney’s dog than to have endorsed Eugene Delgaudio.

They should stand up and say so.

• Joe Budzinski says:

Liz, with all due respect, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

You either are not serious, or have shown up this morning to amuse me. Either way, I appreciate it.

While I don’t recall if the West campaign specifically “refused to go negative” against Eugene in 2007, there was a lot of negative stuff about Eugene that showed up in our mail boxes. Guess it could have been the anti-developer crew or others. We can let that issue fade away.

But to propose that Alfonzo Nevarez is “awesome” by any measure except that which he lives up to in the confines of his own home is a very, very funny thing to say.

And as a side note: I would like to state for the record that if Liz truly believes in Awesome Al, I believe that Liz herself should be in a leading role selecting Eugene’s opponent for 2015. Just tell me to whom I should send my letter of recommendation.

I won’t get into the out-of-town, mustard-stained goons that Awesome Al brought to Sterling on election day to get in voters’ faces at Park View High School, nor his many ignorant public statements (such as that the American middle class is funded by taxpayers’ money).

But in light of current events, let’s just point out that Awesome Al did exactly ONE mailing to the full population of Sterling – Rs, Ds and Unknowns – and the message?

“Eugene Delgaudio called Metro to Loudoun County a BOONDOGGLE!!!”

Since we know now that that is currently a widespread opinion in Loudoun County – perhaps not majority opinion, but certainly one with serious support – we have to wonder whether that mailer of Al’s might have done little more than raise questions about the viability of Metro to Loudoun County.

And on a related note – not to hijack the thread or anything – anyone see the lead story in today’s Washington Times? Not sure if it is online yet (just finished reading the morning paper) – but it is a major expose of incompetence and malfeasance within Metro, first of a three-part series. As far as Metro to Loudoun goes, it is going to leave a mark.

And BlackOut, I can’t agree with you about the pesticide. Eliminationism is never the answer. The answer is to isolate him. Never second him. Never acknowledge him. Show him standing on his own, all others turned away from him.

The LCRC should be denouncing him instead of defending him. The attitude that “everybody knows about Eugene” is unacceptable. This is a hate monger who is a party nominee. EMBRACED by the party. Good GOD people, how can you even look yourselves in the faces in the morning?

Why hasn’t this man been primaried out of the party?

What’s the problem with Al? He was a great fundraiser, had good solid ideas about how to improve schools, transportation, safety, etal.

Dan Lloyd also would have been solid, but didn’t have the same kind of fundraising skills at the time.

• mosborn says:

Barbara –

Just so I’m clear, voicing displeasure with Rush, the GOPs war on women, Eugene and the guy that murdered Trayvon Martin is a distractionary technique that liberals use to avoid having to talk about Obama’s record?

I feel like I keep asking you the same questions (probably because you keep saying the same things)…but does it occur to you that, as individual citizens, some of us are actually upset about these things, without agenda?

Back to the topic of this thread, I can’t apologize for the voters in Sterling (I’m not one of them) but I’m also not going to apologize for thinking that Eugene is unfit for office.

Sorry if it continues to bug you, and if you continue to claim I’m just part of some premeditated liberal scheme.

Okay, Barbara, let’s talk about Obama’s record:

1. Millions of people have health insurance today that didn’t two years ago because of ACA. Including people with pre-existing conditions.

2. Osama Bin Laden is dead.

3. Soldiers home from Iraq.

4. (I don’t like this one) More oil and gas drilling all over the US. More coal mining, ditto.

5. Use of imported oil drops as a percentage of over-all use.

6. US Car manufacturers in better shape than they have been years.

7. Economy in better shape than when he took office.

8. Stock markets in better shape ditto.

9. (I don’t like this one) Executive pay is higher.

10. Did I mention Osama Bin Laden is dead? You knew that right? He’s dead?

• David Dickinson says:

Eugene’s previous e-mail demonstrated why he is a supervisor. There was a problem with power outages. He puts out his e-mail and says if your power is out call him on his cell phone and gives out his number and tells people he’ll take care of it. At the local level, people care more about that kind of stuff than his stance on social issues.

Was it not this same liberal crowd that was denouncing Republicans on the recent sonogram bill saying we needed to focus on jobs and the economy?

Is the pot now calling the kettle (Dick) black?

• Cato the Elder says:

11. Food Stamp recipients up 41%

12. Gas prices up 87%

13. Federal debt up 39%

14. Health insurance premiums up 23%

15. Home values down 11%

Heckova job, Barack.

DD, nothing wrong with constituent services, but in this case one must always consider an ulterior motive.

Most likely Delgaudio is worried about homosexuals coming out and threatening children when the lights go out. That’s probably his interest in getting real time alerts to power outages.

Gas prices in 2008. Please, people. Try to use your memories. Assuming you have them. It’s not that hard. Gasoline companies are making record profits and are getting subsidies from our government that Obama is trying to end. The reason gas prices are high have nothing to do with who is or is not president, they have to do with greed. Plain. Simple. Greed.

I don’t know about food stamp recipients, but considering how long it takes to get on them in the first place and the economic downturn came towards the end of 2008, I’m not surprised if they’re up since then. Are they down since 2009? Or 2010?

Federal Debt up 39%. Ummm…since we had a SURPLUS when your guy took office, I wouldn’t talk about this one if I were you. My guy decreased the rate at which the Federal debt increased.

Health insurance premiums up: because the health insurers are gouging ahead of price controls that are coming.

Home values down 11%? Housing bubble explosion? You remember that? But they are up since 2010 when they had been down by more than 30%.

You are proving MY point. Barack has done a heck of a job. He slowed the rate of decline, he brought us back from the brink.

Liz, just so I’m clear–don’t “eliminate”, but isolate, ignore, etc. Well, those are some of the steps toward elimination, but okay.

And this is why the locals keep getting him on Daily Show etc so they can hold a press conference and claim shame that he’s there (where they made sure to put him)? Okay.

The Dems can’t beat him, and that’s the LCRC’s fault? Okay.

mosborn, I can’t vote for or against Eugene either, and I don’t belong to the LCRC–not asking you to apologize for him, Joe doesn’t seem to want an apology (for Eugene, at least–he may be getting well on the way to wanting an apology for using Sterling as a convenient whipping boy by those who don’t live there, but that’s just speculation on my part), and I’m not going to apologize for him either, certainly not as part of some ritual issue-whacking in an election year. I don’t control Eugene, the LCRC, or any of the national issues you’d like me to assume guilt for as well. I’m terribly sorry that you FEEL like you say the same thing to me all the time–put your mind at rest: you DO. Again, not my fault that much of the electorate runs on talking points. We’ll see how they work nationally this time–the most recent local says not too well.

So, back to our usually scheduled programming…of endless reruns

• G.Stone says:

Liz after reading your list, I can no longer take you seriously. By every matrix on the planet, Obama is running the country into the ground . His mission of fundemental transformation of the country is inflicting damage that will take years and billions to fix.
    He is a committed leftist with an understanding of economics slightly less than your average assistant manager of any Dairy Queen. ( shout out to Joe B. for the original Dairy Queen comparison )

He is an utter failure. Looks good in a suit, and has a decent jump shot, other than that he has no business being POTUS.